30 Amp vs. 50 amp

Redleg6

Hi all.

I seek the wisdom, guidance and overall commentary on the virutes of 3- vs. 50 amp serivce when purchasing a new travel trailer.

I will be living in it full time ( working `10-112 hours on site and then coming back tothe RV to rest and recreate.).

As I try to research I find that the best built (specifically for me) is the Jayco Eagle ( it has a King bed). However it is 30 amp only as of today.

Any thoughts and or wisdom onthe subject?

Thanks in advance.

Darwin

RE: 30 Amp vs. 50 amp

With 30 amp sevice you get a total of 30 amps of power.
With 50 amp service you get two 50 amp power supplies or a total of 100 amps.
I have had both and I would go with 50 amp service especially if you plan to power 2 airconditioners.

CharlieS

RE: 30 Amp vs. 50 amp

I have a 30 Amp and have to be careful what I have turned on at the same time. Hot Water heater, AC, and almost any other appliance on at the same time will trip the circuit breaker.

Knowing what I know now, if I had a choice I would go with 50 Amp. Keep in mind however, that most if not all campgrounds charge extra for 50 Amp service.

H2H1

Re: 30 Amp vs. 50 amp

I am in the same boat as Charlie , I have a 30 amp in mh MH. If I knew then, what I know now, I would make sure I got 50 amps power supply. But I did not know anyone at that time to ask, So since you have this luxury 50 is best

DL Rupper

We had a 30 amp 5th wheel we fulltimed in for 15 years and didn't have any problems. But, you need to pay attention to how many appliances you are running. The biggest problem is when you have your air conditioner on or in cold weather you have a 15 amp electric heater on and want to run other appliances like an electric water heater. In that case you would want to run your water heater and your refrigerator on propane. 30 amp can be worked around if necessary. I wouldn't hesitate on buying 30 amp if you really like the Jayco best, but make sure you pay attention to what electric devices you are running. :eek:

Kirk

I have owned RVs for more than 35 years. If you ever own one with 50A you will not return to 30, at least for fulltime living.

No question, go with 50 amp. Unless you're going to be doing a lot of wilderness camping or staying at state parks or other places that lack modern amenities, it's better to have the extra power and not need it than wish you had it.