4 x 4 Towing

Steve H

What is the consensus about towing in 4 wheel drive. I have never done it...didn't have a 4 x 4 but now I do have a new truck with the option. I have heard that towing in 4 x 4 is a big no, no!

hertig

Re: 4 x 4 Towing

If you are going real slow and are in a poor traction situation, the 4x4 can be used and is of use. I think that at faster speeds it becomes less of a good idea (perhaps more so for some vehicles than others), and don't forget that the 4x4 option is heavy, and that weight comes off your towing capacity.

Wind River

No need to tow in 4WD. You will wear out tires and transfer case. Also can be dangerous on hard surfaced roads. PLEASE read you owner's manual. I have driven 4WD pickups for years and only use 4WD when necessary.

Steve H

Wind River - 11/28/2007 10:14 AM No need to tow in 4WD. You will wear out tires and transfer case. Also can be dangerous on hard surfaced roads. PLEASE read you owner's manual. I have driven 4WD pickups for years and only use 4WD when necessary.

I guess my question was not well formulated...let me try again! I read my 688 page 2007 Silverado Owners Manual. I found nothing that addressed towing a trailerin 4 x 4 mode. Only if the truck itself was being towed. I do not want toregularly tow in 4 x 4 but if I get caught in snow, ice, mud etc. while hitched up, can I use the 4 x 4 without incurring damage or must I leave it in 2 wheel drive and hope for the best?

G

If u get into snow or ice ,, yes use the 4wd ,, because u will be going slow enough to not hurt the truck ,, but then again my son has a chevy ss and it is all wheel drive ,,, but it was built that way ,,, IMO if u must use 4wd ,, use it ,, i do in the snow and around the farm if need be ,, but if i get stuck ,,, then i break out the tractor :laugh: :laugh: :eek:

TexasClodhopper

Not trying to detract from this fine question, but my nephew's high-steppin' 4x4 just allows him to get further into the woods before he gets stuck!

Wind River

Steve,
Sure use your 4WD when needed in mud, snow, etc. An AWD is different than 4WD. In 4WD you lock up the front differential and your turning ability could be dangerous if you are going very fast. As I said before, use it when necessary.

DL Rupper

Steve, unless you do a lot of boon docking, chances are you will not need 4WD. Been full-timing for 13 years and only been stuck twice with my 4x2 and wished I had a 4x4. One of those times was my fault for going off on a wet muddy dirt road in the mountains of Utah when I knew better. Although had I had a 4x4, I would have gone farther and then wished I had a winch when I stuck the 4x4.

I grew up in Utah and owned many 4x4's and got stuck more times than I care to think about. With my 4x2, I generally stay out of sticky situations (no pun intended) ;). I certainly wouldn't take a RV into situations that require 4 wheel drive unless you have no other options. If you get stuck with a RV behind you, you may be stuck until Spring. :(

Steve H

Wind River - 11/29/2007 10:27 AM Steve, Sure use your 4WD when needed in mud, snow, etc. An AWD is different than 4WD. In 4WD you lock up the front differential and your turning ability could be dangerous if you are going very fast. As I said before, use it when necessary.

Hey...I rode back from Sturgis one year through what I believe isthe Wind River area (Ten Sleep- Worland - Riverton) Best part of my trip! Beautiful country!