454 Exhust Headers

Judy

We were talking to other RV'ers about cracks appearing in our exhust headers of our 86 Bounder.One said this problems was resolved by using large heat disipating washers where the headers connected to the engine.
Anyone ever heard/done this?
TIA

Kirk

454 Exhust Headers

I am guessing that you mean the cast iron manifolds, rather than the high performance headers? If you do mean manifolds, the cast iron ones that are standard for both the 454 and the Ford 460 are famous for cracking due to the extream high heat that they must endure. I would suggest that if your manifolds are cracked, rather than replacing them, consider a set of headers. Headers will not only eliminat that problem completely, they also greatly improve performance. Banks has the best quality kit for this, but they also cost the most. If you plan to keep the RV for a long time, then I would reccoment a Banks. But if not, then look to either Gibson or to Thorley. All three of these companies make what you need to solve the problem and at the same time, improve performance.

CAPTNBOBK

454 Exhust Headers

WE HAVE A 454 IN OUR MOTORHOME WHICH IS ON A CHEV. P-30 BUS FRAME. WE HAD TWO CRACKED MANIFOLDS BEFORE FIGURING OUT HOW TO SIMPLY ELIMINATE THE PROBLEM.

ONE OF THE PROBLEMS WITH MOTORHOMES AND ESPECIALLY THE LONGER/LARGER ONES IS THAT THE EXHAUST SYSTEMS ARE ALSO LONG AND OFTEN POORLY SUPPORTED AS WAS OURS. AFTER THE SECOND BREAK A MECHANIC FRIEND OF OURS SAID THIS SHOULDN'T BE HAPPENING AND CRAWLED UNDER THE COACH TO TAKE A LOOK.

HE EMERGED A FEW MINUTES LATER SAYING "I THINK I CAN FIX YOUR PROBLEM VERY SIMPLY" AND BEST OF ALL VERY CHEAPLY. AFTER A SHORT DISCUSSION I SAID LETS TRY IT. THE FIX WAS TO SIMPLY TAKE TWO SHORT LENGTHS OF STOUT CHAIN, TWO TURNBUCKLES, AND TWO BOLTS, ONE EACH TO FASTEN A LENGTH OF CHAIN WITH THE TURNBUCLE ON ONE END OF IT TO THE FRAME, AROUND THE EXHAUST PIPE AND BACK TO THE ANCHOR BOLT. THEN HE DID THE SAME WITH THE OTHER ONE AND THEN SNUGGED EACH TO "FIRMLY" HOLD THE PIPES RIDGED.

THIS WAS DONE ON OURS APPROX. 5'-6' BEHIND THE ENGINE.

WELL THIS WAS ABOUT 15 YEARS AGO AND WE HAVE NEVER HAD ANOTHER CRACKED MANIFOLD OR EXHAUST LEAK AND HAVE NEVER HAD TO ADJUST THE TURNBUCKLES. THE PROBLEM YOU SEE WAS THE PIPE RUNS WERE SO LONG EVEN THOUGH THEY HAD HANGERS ON THEM THEY WOULD BOUNCE SLIGHTLY AND PUT ENOUGH STRESS ON THE MANIFOLDS (ESPECIALLY WHEN HOT) TO CRACK THEM.

VERY SIMPLE VERY CHEAP. HOPE THIS HELPS YOU AND OTHERS SAVE A LOT OF FRUSTRATION AND MONEY!!!!!!!