5th wheel getting bounced to death

tmham

HELP!! I have owned this 25ft sandpiper for one year and it seems to be literally being bounced apart! every time we opened the door from a trip something is broken. for instance our wardrobe hangers stripped out of all ten screws and another time the bed hydralic arm snapped off. we dont overload it. could it be too light, short? would a hitch pin stabilizer help? we love it but our old dutchman (27 ft) never did this :(

Barracuda

Are your tires balanced ? Most RV trailer tires are never balanced. It made a world of difference on our 30 foot after we did this. really smoothed the ride out.

tmham

well i will try it. never thought of that. thanks for the tip. I was wondering if others have had this problem with light or short units

thanks again Tom

KrazyJay

hi tmham,
I have a 23' lightweight TT. As long as I have the water tank full I am ok, if it is empty I get bounced a bit and the trailer gets a bit over active. The tank is in front of the tires so it adds tongue weight. You might try shifting your load around.

tmham

thanks for the tip. I cant shift the load that much on the fifth wheel. but if i have to carry extra weight just to stop this i should have got a larger camper

biesa

Monroe has an aftermarket shock absorber kit you can install that doesn't need any welding or modification to the frame.. Check it out..

mrsmokey

Make sure you have correct tire preasure, your trailer is level, so both axles are carrying same weight. and you have good shocks on your tow vehicle. Soft sidewall radial tires also cause problems on the smaller 5th wheels. good luck