5th wheel hitch and short box truck

S and K

I am sure this has been here many times but here goes.
I own a dodge short bed truck and just bought a 1991 Alpinelite 5th wheel trailer.
the trailer has the extended hitch, now my question is with normal 5th wheel hitch placement am I in danger of whacking the Cab on a sharp turn? :question:

hertig

It is certainly possible, depending on the amount of extension your pin box provides. Easiest way to check is to go to a large, clear area, and start backing the trailer with your wheels turned as sharply as possible. Do this slowly and check EVERY area where the trailer can contact the truck. It turns out that the side of my (extended) pin box touches the bed rails way before the trailer gets near to the cab.

If you do have the potential for a problem, check into a slider attachment for your hitch. These allow the hitch to slide about a foot to the rear for sharp turns. Only about $100, but a real pain to use. But if you need it... They also have motorized ones for a whole lot more money but much easier to use.

wittmeba

S and K
quote:I am sure this has been here many times but here goes.
I own a dodge short bed truck and just bought a 1991 Alpinelite 5th wheel trailer.
the trailer has the extended hitch, now my question is with normal 5th wheel hitch placement am I in danger of whacking the Cab on a sharp turn?
The short bed can be a problem, but lots of us are still using them.

The extended pin will help reduce the possibility, but WONT eliminate it. If you hitch was installed properly, there still exists the potential of contact with the cab.

If you are really uncomfortable, get a slider hitch - some are automatic (www.PullRite.com), others manual (www.Reeseprod.com). Or just be cautions and it shouldnt be problem.

grandpaw

I have the Reese 16K slider in my short bed 98 Chev K2500. It works well IF LUBRICATED as instructed ! I have never needed to use it, but feel secure knowing that it is there if I need it. :)

C Nash

I'am with you Grandpa. I had a Cougar 5th wheel and had the slider hitch which I never had to use but, I would not be without it on a short bed truck. Always knew it was there if needed and was no trouble to use at all. Pull a pin, lock the trailer brakes and pull forward.