5th Wheel Leveling and Stabalizing

Wally40

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and 5th wheeling and would like some advice. I saw a leg leveler (goes on one of the front legs of the jacks) and a king pin stabalizer on Camping World's WEB site. Are these needed? I have seen folks put wood pallets and such (seems like a real pain) under the king pin when camping, but never knew why. I'm used to just running down my jacks on the TT and there you go. Sounds like the stabilty and leveling issue (as far as setting up for camping goes) is a little more in-depth. Tweaking the frame when running down the power jacks??? All advice is appreciated.

Wally

Gary B

Hi Wally, welcome to the forum, leveling a 5th wheel is about the same as a TT, first level the trailer side to side with blocks under the wheels, then I had some pads approx. 9X9" square 5/8" plywood I put down under the front landing gear pads & the rear stabilizer pads, then would drop the front legs down to about 2/3" from the pads and then run the legs the rest of the way down with the electric motor, then unhitch from the truck, pull ahead and finish leveling front to back using the front landing gear and then the rear stabilizers to stabilze the trailer. As for the king pin stablizer, they are nice and help steady the 5er up front, but we only used it if we were setting up for longer periods of time like say for a week or more, never went thur the process of setting it up for over nights or if only staying a couple 2/3 days. Hope this helps. :) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: :approve:
PS no you really don't need leg levelers, they are very easily adjust individually for uneven ground.

hertig

The leg leveller is a useful idea to prevent frame twist on slightly uneven ground, but the one from Camping world is problimatical. It adds a very large amount to the length of one leg. One of these days I plan to modify it to fit inside the leg. Until then, a few pieces of 1/4 plywood should do the trick.

As for gross leveling, I like the Link Levelers or similar 1" block sets

I've never used a king pin stabilizer, and never felt the lack. Of course, my 5er is fairly short, and the longest I've stayed anywhere is a couple of weeks, so I might not know what I'm missing :)

Wally40

Thanks and I appreciate the advice. Our first big trip is in a couple of days to Mt Lassen KOA. Not really roughing it, but if I wanted to I guess I could set up the tent :) Again thanks.

Wally