5th wheel or travel trailer

Sarge

I was at a dealership looking at travel trailers and told the salesman that we were planning on full time rv living. He said that if we were going to full time that we needed a 5th wheel. Is that a true statement? I really wanted a travel trailer so I would have the bed of the pickup to also carry stuff.

C Nash

Re: 5th wheel or travel trailer

Just a mater of personel opinion IMO. The 5th wheel will tow better and offer more outside storage than most TT. Hook up is easier on the fiver. Flat floor plan is a + for some on the TT and as you said it leaves you with a full tr bed. Will you be traveling most of the time or staying in one spot? Check the insulation on whichever you decide on. Most entry level units are not made for fulltiming.

Grandview Trailer Sa

For my 1000 post, I would say most full timers do use a fifth wheel. I believe it is the fact that most people have grown to a fifth wheel by the time they go full time. Also, a full timers trailer is usually large and a fifth wheel WILL tow better than a large travel trailer. Storage is also a large factor and like Chelse states, the fifth wheel will have more storage.

However if you want to start out smaller, the Sunset Creek and Brookside lines of SunnyBrook have very high insulation factors, enclosed underbelly's, porcelain toilets, a lot of floor plans have neo-angled showers, Aluminum Frames, 5,200lb axles and a LOT more. Check them out. If you want I will be glad to help.

Sarge

Thanks for the information. I will not be staying one place more than a month and will probably be boondocking quite a bit. I also intend on following the warm weather as much as possible. So much stuff I don't know, but I've gained a lot of knowledge reading the threads on this forum.

JanetG

We chose a fifth wheel because it tows best, has lots of outside storage, and the higher ceiling made it feel roomier. Very personal choice. Anyway you don't want to load up the back of your truck with more stuff. You need to be ruthless and get rid of a lot of stuff from your pre-fulltimer life. Don't haul it all around with you.

DL Rupper

Hey GTS, what's the deal with porcelain toilets. We have had a light weight plastic toilet for 12 years and can't figure out what we are missing. This is an honest question. I'm not pulling your leg. I really want to know why I should have or need a gold plated porcelain toilet. So far I have put them in the same category as big dumb ceiling fans and phoney fireplaces. We use portable air filter fans and electric heaters. Some RV's seem to be competing with stationary homes. They try to duplicate a stick home. Heck the fun of RV'ing is "roughing it" in your home on wheels. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

hertig

I had a cheapo plastic toilet in my Terry fifth wheel, never gave me any trouble. The fancy porelain one in the motorhome leaked the bowl contents over the floor anytime we'd sit on it (apparently needed a special kit for anyone over 154 pounds), and toilet paper sticks wherever it lands like it was doused in super-glue... Probably because they stripped of the gold plating before they sold it to me :)

DL Rupper

I forgot to vote for full-timing in a 5th Wheel. The interior floor plans in the 5th wheel are better for full-timing than a TT. Also, you have more storage space and it IS easier to tow a 5th Wheel. :laugh: Oh, by the way, the 5th Wheel tows behind a Dodge diesel much more nicely than behind a GM or Ford product. :evil: :approve:

Grandview Trailer Sa

Hey hey hey, don't put GM in the same sentence as the other one......

Porcelain toilets seem to be the new rage. Gulf Stream is using them in the Sedona Edition and up, but Sunset Creek by SunnyBrook is using them also. I think it is the only toilet SunnyBrook is using.

They have a ball valve instead of a flap. The only problem I have encountred is that you can't just add water. They do put some water in the bowl after the flush for next time.

Yep, it's Holiday Inn on Wheels!!!

DL Rupper

Ok, just wondering about those toilets. :bleh: I had to include GM or everyone would think I'm getting soft and addled in my old age. :clown:

ARCHER

Hey Kenneth,
You can add water to the Sunnybrook toilets. Instead of pushing down on the pedal, you raise it up with your foot and you can add water. How do I know that, I read the owner's manual for the toilet, ha ha. Linda kept saying it didn't make any sense that we could not add water.....so I dug out the OM and it told me what to do.
Did you talk to Sunnybrook yet on the flapper? Packing already to go back to Florida for the winter......may not wait until late Oct...... ;)

Grandview Trailer Sa

Well, well, well, Have to admit I have not read the owners manual. Learn something new everyday, until you die. Thanks

Yes, Brian has been in touch with them about the flap. I will check...

Thanks for the good words in the other thread.