5th Wheel Parking

Jellyfish

Hello RV'ers, I drove my new 5th home last week and fortunately parked it straight in. We planned to do some backing/parking practice before we tried it in public. We didn't. So we parked at a site at night with Connie and my 11 year old son as spotters, and some help from the neighbors. Good news is that after 15 tries, we were in without hitting anything or having a fight.

I'd like some tips on 5th W parking. Specificly, does a locked turn hurt the trailer?(the tires seem to flex in opposite directions.)Is it the same foward and backward? Should I start close to the spot or wide? Is there a site where these sort of tips are collected? Thanks,

C Nash

5th Wheel Parking

Hi Brian, Connie and boys,
Welcome to the forum :) and congratulations on the new fiver :approve: . Best thing to do is exactly what you did, just do it. I have found it is hard to try to tell anyone how to back the trailers. The lock turn will not hurt the rv but, I would advoid them if possible. Most of the time it is on gravel or dirt but when on pavement or concrete it can be rough on the frames, tires. Have fun :)

ARCHER

5th Wheel Parking

Welcome and enjoy your new toy.
If I were you, I'd practice in "Big" parking lot and then if at all possible, try to get a "pull thru" site when you go out to have fun. I am partial to pull thrus, basically because I drive a Class a and pull a dolly with car on it (and ya just can't back a dolly, :dead: )If you have some "cones" laying around you might use them for your practicing. have fun and practice make perfect!!! :) :approve: ;)

randallman57

5th Wheel Parking

Hi Archer, Thanks for the help,but we were in Ocala this last year and the year before that we were in Tampa and Port Charolett.(sp)
We haven't been really warm in any of those places. I know that timing is everything and I guess we have not just hit it right yet!!!
We loved the Salt Springs (in Ocala) Rv Resort that we were in and we did a lot of hiking and bike riding but couldn't swim or be out near the water. Randallman57

cdrcos

5th Wheel Parking

Wecome to the world of Fifth Wheels. Let me tell you, the best peice of equipment we invested in is a pair of FRS radios. These are available everywhere and are pretty cheap. (We prefer the Motorola) With these the spotter can radio directions back to the driver without hand signals or yelling. Once we got our terms down (driver-side, passenger-side) we did great. Before that we went through the usual: "Who's left?" "I can't see you--so don't tell me more towrd you" etc.

Good luck and just do it, you'll learn soon enough. Lots of trial and error. So what if it takes 12 tries to get into a space -- next time will only take 10.

C Nash

5th Wheel Parking

Jellyfish,
Won't take but a few camping trips and you will be sitting and watching that new camper trying to back his fifth wheel and telling him/her that there is nothing to it :laugh:

catfish

5th Wheel Parking

Backing a 5th wheel does take practice. A trucker friend of mine showed me a pretty good way to back .. Must use your mirrors; place your right hand at the BOTTOM of the steering wheel. Make a fist with your left hand with the thumb sticking out. Turn the steering wheel in the direction your thumb is pointing to make the BACK of the trailer go in that direction. i.e if thumb points to the right turn the bottom of the steering wheel to the right, REAR of the rig will go right,etc.; The other piece of info is to make small changes.
The radios are another great tip. Hope this helps.
regards,
Catfish

Jellyfish

5th Wheel Parking

Thanks for the "Thumb" tip. I've learned alot since that post(no damage). On the trip we just came back from, I jumped in and backed a guys new rig at his request. Brian...