5th wheel vs travel trailer

The Utts

I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado Z71 4x4 and we are trying to decide if we should be a Coachmen 26' lite 5th wheel or 30' Aerolite travel trailer. I have been reading about the advantages of the 5th wheel and my owners manual says I can toy 7800#, but will it really tow the 5th wheel or will I have problems?

Your vehicle should pull either trailer easily. The most important consideration is the LOADED WEIGHT.

However, I pull a 5800# trailer with my 2003 GMC Savana Van with all wheel drive. This is only a half ton vehicle so I am limited to 6250#'s. I have the van because I must use a handicap scooter to get around. If not, I would have a pickup and tow a 5th wheel trailer.

WHY? MOST OF THEM COME WITH GENERATORS OR CAN ADD A GENERATOR EASILY!!!. There is nothing worse than having a trailer and not being able to stop in a rest area or along a beautiful roadside vista because you can't plug in to power your A/C!!!

So, I say; "Go for the 5th Wheel"!

Gary B

Hi I have to disagree in that most 5th wheel do not have generators, most all motorhomes do. Only the very high end 5er have generators an then its an option, so with both a portable gen is the way to go and works equally with both. :) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: :approve: