5th whl, or TT? Durability for full time living.

The-highlander

I have a 2006 2500HD Duramax diesel. With that said, I am thinking about buying a rv and living in it full time with my wife and 12 month old daughter. We have done the math on living in a apartment and it just doesn't pay off. If we were to live in an appt. when we move out and lived elsewhere we would get no money back and probly not even our deposit. So If we bought a trailer and lived in it we would be investing in something, and when and if we decided to move back into an appt or house we could sell it and get some of our money back after 3 years or so. Also if we wanted to move to Alaska or main or wherever we could just take off and go in our trailer. I am 27 yrs. old and do not have a certain career in mind and I do not like to be tied down with things. My main question is What is the difference in full time living day and night year round in a Travel Trailer or a 5th Wheel? I mean between the two which is more durable for living in and wont fall apart as much from normal everyday wear and tear. I know that the 5th wheel is better for set up, more storage, tows better, and so on, but which would be a better investment to buy and live in full time and not fall apart in the process. Please don't let price and all the little petty details effect the answer of my question. Which is more durable and better made or are they the same given equal models?

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: 5th whl, or TT? Durability for full time living.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I feel in general, a Fifth Wheel will do a better job for full time living. Generally they are better insulated, or can be bought with insulation packages where TT cannot be. I am sure there are some TT out there that can be upgraded, but most companies reserve that for the 5'ers. A Fifth Wheel will also generally come with larger axles and tires, especially if you get one big enough to live in comfortably.

Along with everything else you mentioned, storage, towing etc., a Fifth Wheel is going to be the best choice and you certainly have the truck to handle it.

DL Rupper

5th Wheel is the best for full-time living. Been living in one for 13 years now. :)

bloozeharp

RE: 5th whl, or TT? Durability for full time living.

DL's post concerning having lived in one for 13yrs caught my eye. I have been in turmoil trying to decide between 5er and MH for a good while. It may be faulty perception on my part, but from all the posts I have been reading it seems that 5ers don't hold up as well as a quality MH (I know, the post here is comparing TTs and 5ers). You don't seem to find many 5ers for sale that are 10yrs old or older. Is this because they're junk at this age or what?

hertig

There are more things on a MH to break/wear out (because it has all the stuff required to move it) and they are often harder to repair. Also, because it needs to be driveable, there are clumsy floorplan aspects which cannot be avoided. Motorhomes have a tendancy to annoy their owners more than trailers do. And they usually have a higher resale value (due to the higher initial cost, of course). Thus, the motivation to sell after 10 years is increased.

However, if you have a good quality trailer you are comfortable with after 10 years, why would you get rid of it? And if it was not good quality to begin with, its worth so little after that long that its better to 'discard' it than try to sell it.

Really, the choice between MH and 5er is based on how you will use it. If you travel a lot and only stay a night or 2 at each location, the MH is more conveniant to use while driving and easier to set up for the night. If you spend a lot of time at each place, the more challanging setup and inconveniance of use while driving are negated, and the lower overall costs, improved floorplans and 'easier' maintenance make it a better choice.

C Nash

The frist thing that came to my mine Highlander was I noticed that you always said I. Does the wife also want this lifestyle with the young child? I'm sure you'll have discussed this and agree. Don't think you were even asking about a MH which we prefer but of the two you mentioned I would go with a 5th wheel :)

The-highlander

C Nash, of course The wife is the major deciding factor on this one. I'm all pumped about it more then she is of course, but she thinks it would be a good idea financially. We even went to a dealer today and looked and walked through some 5ers and TT's and we both said right away that TT's were out of the question. So if we do this then it will defiantly be a 5er. I was surprised on how excited she was when we were actually looking at the 5ers, she said she could live like this for a couple of years. But if she doesn't want to do this then we wont do it; I'm not that mean a guy, lol.

C Nash

Thats what I figured Highlander but was just the first thought I had. Sure is great to have a mate that enjoys the same dreams and wishes. Only advice I would give is look, ask, attend shows and continue to seek advice of rvers that have been there done that. Good luck and keep us posted :approve:

Kirk

"There are more things on a MH to break/wear out (because it has all the stuff required to move it) and they are often harder to repair. "

Now there is a statement of a truly biased fifth wheel owner and one that is pure opinion. As one with 8 years of fulltimer living in a motorhome, I have to disagree, strongly. Is he trying to tell me that he don't have any maintenance on the "thing" that he moves that trailer with? Let me suggest that before you choose based upon such bad information, take a look at the expenses that I have posted on the website in my signature. It has the actual costs of our past four years of fulltime living with nothing but taxes left out. See for yourself how far off base that post was.

Let me suggest that the best type of RV for fulltime living is the one which fits you and your lifestyle best and has nothing to do with the reasons listed. Escapees RV Club, the largest group of full-time and extended travel RVers has surveyed their members annually for many years and they show that there are slightly more fulltimers in motorhomes than fifth wheels. Last year the numbers were about 46% in motorhomes and 44% in fifth wheels, with about 8% in travel trailers and the rest spread through everything else.

G

I don't think John was inplying that at all,,, due to the fact that he is also a Class A DP owner ,, he was just posting an opinion ,, IMO as i also own a 40ft Tiffin DP

Bigman

I am no veteran of full timing, just started and fixen to buy a 5th WHEEL. I like the room and I will be sitten for more more time than driving. Short and simple.

G

then Bigman ,, go for what u like ,, it's u'rs and all the stuff u put in it is for u'r comfort ,, i am not bias in anyway ,, i like all rver's ,,, heck we all have one goal in mind ,, GO SOMEWHERE and have fun doing it ,,, and then pout when u get back (for partimers only) but atleast u'r gonna have fun ,, and that's what it's all about :approve: :approve: :approve: :)

C Nash

Highlander another thought just crossed my mine. Don't forget to look at storage as you will be taking all your things along while fulltiming. Also spend as much time as possible just sitting in the rv you like, lay on the bed, sit on the commode (dont use) :eek: :laugh: Are the chairs confortable? How's the TV? Is there room in the shower or tub? Ask about insulation? I have stayed in rvs so long while looking that one salesman said he was going to have to charge us :laugh:

The-highlander

Roger That C Nash, that is very good advise and I thank you for it. :) If I buy locally then I will do just that, but I am also looking on E-bay. The prices on some of the private sellers on e-bay are just to good to pass up.

hertig

Kirk, actually, since I generally only spend 1 night per place, I am more in favor of the Class A ***for me***. No messing with those )$#(*& leveling blocks, much more comfortable to drive and I don't have to stop every 30 minutes for anyone to use the restroom. On the occasions when I do spend a week or month in one place, the motorhome is adequate, but I remember the 5th wheel as being just a little bit more conveniant for long term stays. So my opinion is that each is a bit 'better' for a particular type of usage. That is the opinion I stated, and it is mine. If yours is different, well, 'viva la differance'.

As for the statement you picked out as opinionated, you may want to look at it again. Yes, the tow vehicle for a fifth wheel (or TT, for that matter) needs maintenance, and has drive train thingies to break. But except for the really big ones, they are 'regular vehicles' which can be maintained or repaired by the owner or most any repair shop. And they can be worked on while you are living in the trailer. Finding a place willing and competant to work on a motorhome is a bit more difficult (or at least I've found it so; and as soon as I find a good place, they go out of business). And if the motorhome is in the shop overnight, often you are in a motel, and that's what I got a RV to avoid.

So, in my opinion, that statement is not opinion, but fact. Although it did assume 'everyone knew' the above explanation. It is not a slam at motorhomes (that's what I have) and it is not a benediction for 5ers. It is merely 1 factor of many in the big picture to consider when choosing your RV.

DL Rupper

Kirk, there are lots more things to go wrong on a MH. Heck, all I have is 1 motor vechicle to keep running and the oil changed let alone all the filters. When my leveling boards wear out I can buy new ones for a few dollars. When a MH leveling jacks go south you have big bucks for repair. My truck diesel cost $7000 extra. What does a pusher diesel engine cost? :( I think 5th wheel owners generally buy new ones more often because they are a lot less expensive. Not because they wear out faster. Remember this is just my opinon. :laugh:

Poppa

5 th wheel is one heck of a lot easier to handle on the road as well as parking. Asso a 5 th wheel has a lot more storage

daytona7

Highlander, there is one thing no one took into account. Your financial status. If you are planning on going full time RVing, you will need a lot more than a security deposit and advance rent payment just to start. You need to look at what you have for a tow vehicle and what the towing rate and pin weight for a fiver. Then you must invest in a weight distribution hitch or sliding fifth wheel hitch capable of towing a heavier weight and having the hitch installed and your TV wired. Elect break controller plus installation. The cost of the trailer, sales tax, registration, tags and the MOST IMPORTANT thing often not mentioned. INSURANCE! No matter what you get, MH, TT or 5ver, you will need insurance on both the tv and trailer or if a MH, the toad. All of this even before you can drive away with any kind of RV. You also need to take into account that you have an infant who will need physician care, medicine, clothing and special food for a while. Then you have your wifes and your own medicial care and don't forget federal income tax. All of that takes MONEY with some kind of a STEADY monthly income. You guys are still young so the full time RV life looks good, but, can you really afford to full time with no steady income? If you can afford to either rent or even purchase a used RV, then do so and give it a try for a few weeks, but do not give notice to your landlord yet.

THISTOYISHERS

I like this discussion on all types, I want to go fulltime as soon as Uncle Sam says I can, WE decided on a MH because my wife can not back a Fifth or a trailor and also because my dad allow us to use his while he is doing downtime and I was home, he said better to use than lose.
take care and remember BroDavid in your prayers.
God Bless The USA