5w axle flip

bryan75411

Due to my truck being a little taller than stock, I am going to have to flip the axles on my recently purchased camper from being on top of the leaf springs to underneath the leaf springs. Are there any precautions I should know about before starting. I have already lowered the 5w hitch as far as possible without letting the clearance go below 6" between the bed and overhang. Has anyone ever done this before? Right now when pulling, the rear skid wheels make contact pretty often.

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions

Gary B

5w axle flip

HI bryan75411, I have done it and its a job, but form the sounds of it one you need to do. Get all the parts you need before starting, are you going with the non-weld kit or the welded spring perch's you need to jack the 5er up and remove both alxes completely to do this, it would also be a good idea to have new equalizer's new bushings & bolts for the springs and spring hanger, you'll also need new U bolts but that stuff will come with the kit. Be careful when you have the trailer up on jacks :eek: , and its best to be in a shop or pick a very calm day. :) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: ;) :approve:

bryan75411

5w axle flip

Thanks for the reply GaryB, I haven't studied the setup as well as I should have, but my initial plans were to elevate the trailer, disconnect the springs, remove the axles - reinstall the springs - and mount the axles back using the same hardware. I need to research more, I wasn't aware that I would need a kit. Being a newbie, I don't know what you mean when you mention equalizers. :question: It's a good thing that I am not in a hurry!!! :laugh:

Gary B

5w axle flip

Hi bryan75411, heres a link for more information www.dexteraxle.com you do move the axles to under the springs but you can not turn them over they have a camber built in (they have a slight bend in the axle and the hump must be up) thus you need new spring perchs etc.
:) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: ;) :approve:

bryan75411

5w axle flip

The link was helpful GaryB, and I talked with a local dealer and he walked me outside and explained what you were talking about. I appreciate your help, I would have been in trouble :blackeye: without it!
I am going to measure my axle diameter today and go buy the overslung adapter - then as soon as my yard dries up enough to get to it, I am going to pull my 5er up on a slab and do the swap!