Bobwhite

Hey People. New Member here. Just had a problem with my 2005 F350 King Ranch. I noticed a water leak at my radiator fill tank and was told by a friend that it was a blown head gasket. Took it in and of course he was right. I did have a hypertech programmer that I un-installed before I took in. They asked if it had a programmer on it and being honest I said yes. Well as you can imagine , that was the reason the head gaskets blew. The truck has only 27,000 miles and being a king Ranch I paid for the extended warranty. All to no avail, the cost so far is being estimated at around 6000.00 . I have been a Ford Fanatic pretty much all my life and am having second thoughts for a Dodge.

Grandview Trailer Sa

CALL HYPERTECH. THEN CALL YOUR LAWYER. Reprogrammers do NOT void warranties. They have gone to court before. Seriously, call Hypertech. I believe they will help you. The 6.0 is a better boat anchor than engine and Ford is looking for any excuse.

Bobwhite

Called Hypretech today, Talked to the tech people and their supervisior and was told basically that I was on my own. Ford is just looking for a reason not to warranty the vehicle.

Grandview Trailer Sa

I am surprised at the response you recieved from Hypertech. I am going to call my salesman tomorrow and see what he tells me. I have been told it has gone to court. Ford has to PROVE the programming caused the problem. If it were me I would not cave in yet.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Talked to my salesman, who I have dealt with for years, and he told me there is a Federal law that protects us, the consumer. Years ago, auto manufacturs could void warranties if a different brand spark plug or oil filter was used (just an example). With all the things we bolt on our trucks, this law protects us. NOW manufactures have to PROVE what was bolted on caused the problem. With litterly thousands of Hypertech programers on the market, they are not causing the 6.0 or any engine to blow head gaskets. If fact, Hypertech does not increase the turbo pressure that much. They do it with fuel management.

You really need to tell the dealership to call in a factory rep and you want to talk to him or her. It should be up to Ford, and not the dealership to make these decisions. If they wont do that, call your lawyer. 6,000 for a head gasket is insane.

Bobwhite

Appreciate your advise, I talked to my salesperson from the dealership I always buy from and was advised to take the truck to them. He said the same thing , how do they know that Hypertech is the cause. When I called the local dealership to tell them I was picking my truck up they said they just ordered parts and I would have to pay for them. Of course I told them I was picking up the truck and I was NOT buying any parts. Before I left the dealership I had to pay a 175.00 diagnostic fee. I guarantee you I will not do any business with them. Within the past year and ahalf I bought 4 new trucks , 3 being the 6.0 Diesels. My brother in law tried telling me that the 6.0 was a junk engine as thier company had a lot of trouble when they first came out. I dismissed it as a new product getting the bugs worked out. Thanks for your advise.

Bobwhite

Update: I took my truck to my original dealer and I just got it back a couple of days ago. No head gaskets was blown!!! The ehaust pressure sensor needed to be replaced, Egr cooler leaking, oil cooler stopped up, oil screen broken, egr stuck open. I know I will be very selective when taking truck to a dealership. Today I am going to the dealership that was trying to make me pay 6000.00 for something that did not exsist.At least I should get my 175.00 diagnostics fee back. The repairs was warranted by Ford and my faith in Ford is restored.

Kirk

When you get there, let them know that you will be in touch with both Ford and with the Better Business Bureau if you do not receive that money back.

Bobwhite

Update on Local dealership. I talked to the owner and we went over all the dianostic tests that were done. He remains steadfast that the heads will in all probabilty leak again when I put the truck under a load like it did before. I have heard from my mechanic that his mechanic is the best in our metro area. The owner did offer to repay the fee, but I wanted to see if they will start leaking again. I will be testing the truck under a load soon. The heads before the repair mainly leaked when under a stress (Pulling a large trailer up a hill). Ford did install a fluid level sticker on the fill tank that is lower than indicated on the tank. I pretty much have decided that I will trade this truck in when thay get the new motor. I think when I take this truck in for repairs ( drivetrain )with the hypertech being logged on the warranty, they will always say that the programmer had something to do with it. I don't like being in the situation like I was before. Paying a premium price for a truck , paying for the ESP warranty then being told it would not be covered under a warranty. It is still hard to think about at how much they were going to charge me for new head gaskets and egr cooler. I will not reinstall my hypertech program . Know anyone that wants one ? Thanks for the inquiry.
P.S. I will update again and let you know about the repair.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Thanks for the update.
Dont be afraid of Hypertech. Just be afraid of the 6.0 engine and apparently your dealer. I know (because I have sold some) that dealerships all across the country are using Hypertech as a sales tool. THEY are installing it before they sell the truck. I have personnally used Hypertech in 9 trucks. NEVER any problems that Hypertech caused, even when I had the 3 Ford trucks I (mistakenly) bought. The dealer here knew it, and the fact Hypertech was used was never a topic of discussion.

My GM dealers know it and don't care. Of course, I have not had problems either. 87,000 miles between the two and the only wrenchs that have touched the engines have been oil filter, oil plug and fuel filter.

Also, heads don't leak only under a load. Once they leak they ALWAYS leak.

DL Rupper

Hey Grandview, been all over the place (IL, MO, KS, OK, TX, NM, AZ, NV, UT, CO, ID, MT and back) only took 7mos, lots of stay overs and all smooth sailing with the Dodge CTD. Don't have a computer hooked-up just yet, so i'm having a hard time getting on the forum. Take care, will catch you later.