7500 Onan quiet diesel

gene 409

I have a 1997 7500 that has decided to quit running. the symptoms are: generator starts easily, runs, rpms slow and the unit dies. One repair expert says the invertor is bad and will cost 2 grand+ to fix and the invertor fits inside the unit, is 1/3 the size of the unit and needs to come out of the coach. Repair expert #2 says the "processor" or stator/rotor is the issue as the code indicates a category "13" issue.

Any insight with this. Sound famaliar and if yes can a normal mechanic like myself replace? Any help would be appreciated!

C Nash

7500 Onan quiet diesel

If someone else can do it you can to is my thinking which has got me in a lot of trouble :laugh: . I will try most anything other than PLUMBING. :blackeye: If you have a leak it's because I have tried to repair one for myself. :disapprove: Labor is probably about half the price. Might be time to get the third "expert" opinion. How many hours on the Onan? Have you called Onan and do the experts work for an Onan dealer? Not many experts on Onans working at rv dealers in my area.

gene 409

7500 Onan quiet diesel

Your right on about the RV dealers NOT really being experts on these generators. They imediately turned me over to an outside "onan authorized repair dealer" which was cool. Problem Im now having is getting the guy to return my call to see if he ever ordered the replacement parts that are already a week late? Im thinking seriously about finding the parts on the net and going for it....EXCEPT Im not 100% what it needs (either was he for that matter). I have all the equipment to lift that 420lbs generator out to have full access. It only has 620 hours.

C Nash

7500 Onan quiet diesel

Guess i would go with the onan dealer with this one but, 2grand sure does seem high :( Shotgun method could end up costing more.

Poppa

7500 Onan quiet diesel

I am a party pooper, the unit running then dying leaves a couple questions. 1. is it under load when it quits. or is it just runnung

C Nash

7500 Onan quiet diesel

I'm assuming that the tech pulled a code and it indicates that the problem is in the invertor or processor. if not it opens up a lot of other possible causes.

beaver jim

7500 Onan quiet diesel

had the same problem, turned out to be the thrmostat. what was hapening
was the thermostat was defective and was telling the brain that the gen. it was overheating and would shut down every time after running for 2 minutes :) good luck

SR Ariens

7500 Onan quiet diesel

I had heard of a similar situation that the air intake for the radiator was clogged with road debris and was "overheating" rapidly..

1rabbit

7500 Onan quiet diesel

is it getting enough fuel?? a partly clogged filter will starve an engine but will let it start.