'96 F350 w/7.5 engine with Tranny inquiry

groeder

Hey, folks, I have a '96 Dutchman 30' Class C. The engine is a 7.5 with an auto trans. I had the trans rebuilt but it is not working correctly. The trans shifts from low to second without problems. However, from second to third I have to let off the gas pedal for it to shift. The tranny will hold the third gear only slightly and will shift to a higher gear. I have engaged & disengaged the overdrive; it works fine. When ascending a hill, the trans will shift to third or a lower gear but will not hold the shift and will go back down to the higher gear. The mechanic & the guy that rebuilt the tranny suggested that maybe the computer is telling the transmission to shift from the lower gear. If I attempt to go into a passing gear, the engine revs & it sounds like the torque converter/trans is not engaging. The computer was fine before the trans was overhauled. Other than the above problem the tranny/engine are operating without a problem. The MH has less than 92K miles. Any body have a suggestion?

C Nash

I doubt that has anything to do with the coputer but is possible. Check engine light should come on if it is the computer. I would go back to the tranny builder and show him what it is doing. Think they may hae to pull it back out. How long since the O/H? Did it ever work ok? May want to go to another shop for opinion.

groeder

Thanks to the both of you for your suggestions. The trans had about 92K miles on it when I lost everything. The torque converter shattered while I was climbing a steep hill. I bought the RV from a close friend. He paid to have all the repairs done because he doesn't know beans about much as far as mechanics go. I knew that either the torque converter or the tranny was slipping when I bought it. I was hoping that I could get more mileage out of it before it went. Life lesson! At any rate, the mechanic and the guy that overhauled the trans think that it can be repaired by dropping the inspection plate without having to remove the trans. Both of them knew that there was a problem with the shifting but since I had a camping trip/site reserved, they told me to drive it as it would not damage anything. It does operate smoothly except for the third gear & shifting up. Oddly enough, I gained about 3 miles to the gallon since the overhaul which in itself is good. I checked with the Ford dealer in town as well as a trans overhaul shop. Of course, the Ford dealer would have to replace the blown trans with a new one rather to overhaul it. The overhaul shop gave me a gigantic quote which made it out of the question. I know both the mechanic & overhauler for several years so I'm not worried about them jilting me. We live in a small town; everyone knows everybody's business & these two have to make a living from all of this. I took the RV to the mechanic on Tuesday & should be repaired & ready by Friday.