A&E awning tension

msenn

I have just replaced the arm on my A&E Sunchaser awning and I now need to reset the tension on the roller. Can someone help me with instructions on how to do this? My rig is a 2003 Keystone Cougar fifth wheel.

Martin

Robs

RE: A&E awning tension

The torsion assembly has a wound coil spring which provides tension on the roller tube to roll the awning up
into the travel position.

The right hand torsion end cap contains a cam assembly which prevents the awning from billowing or unrolling
during travel. It also allows one-person set-up of the awning by preventing rollback.

When difficulties are experienced in rolling the awning up, the tension on the torsion should be checked. In most cases adding a few turns of torque to each end will correct the problem. If all tension has been lost,
refer to the following chart and apply the specified number of turns as indicated. This must be done with
the awning extended two feet away from the coach.

Robs

RE: A&E awning tension

The torsion assembly has a wound coil spring which provides tension on the roller tube to roll the awning up
into the travel position.

The right hand torsion end cap contains a cam assembly which prevents the awning from billowing or unrolling
during travel. It also allows one-person set-up of the awning by preventing rollback.

When difficulties are experienced in rolling the awning up, the tension on the torsion should be checked. In most cases adding a few turns of torque to each end will correct the problem. If all tension has been lost,
refer to the following chart and apply the specified number of turns as indicated. This must be done with
the awning extended two feet away from the coach.

msenn

Re: A&E awning tension

I replaced the front arm. What is the procedure for winding up the tension again? There is no tension in either end. How do I know which way to turn the axle when winding it up?

Martin

TexasClodhopper

" ... the tension on the torsion should be checked.... " I keep telling Sallyberetta this, but she just pokes me in the eye and goes back to watching TV. Sigh. :clown:

Grandview Trailer Sa

I should have asked how long your awning is also, that determines how many winds you put on the springs. If your awning is about 20', you want to wind each end about 15 turns. You do this by taking the cap of the awning arm, which is the end of the spring also, and rotating it.

The front arm: stand facing down the length of the awning looking toward the back of the trailer, rotate cap counter-clockwise. On this end the ratchet will help you by not letting the spring release itself.

On the rear arm: Stand looking down the awning again, but looking at the front of the trailer. Wind the cap clockwise. On this end be very careful. When the spring has 12-15 turns it gets dangerous. Use vise grips and you must clamp the shaft where you can hold it till you get it into the arm and secured with the screw.

NOW you mentioned that the rear does not have tension either, your spring might be broken, unless you let it unwind when you were changing the arm. If so, just rewind it. If your spring is broken, you wont be able to wind it and get any tension.

msenn

Kenneth,

Thank you for the instructions. I heard from a dealer that i should wind it about 1 1/2 times as long as the awning is (20' x 1.5= 30 times)?

Is that incorrect?

Martin

H2H1

Martin listen to Ken HE WILL NOT TELL you something if it isn't right. If he tell you 15 turns then do just that 15 turns. I sounds like the dealer you was asking the question to does not know what he is talking about, or he was guessing. Ken does know what he is talking about :laugh: