A foreign RV lover wanting to wander in the US

Alain

Hello everybody, I’m new in this forum and I’m almost new in RV (except, in another life, 20 years ago, while I was living in Canada during 3 years, I did own a 28 C, and after, each time that I had the opportunity, I did rent one during a few weeks in the US).
As a consequence of these experiences, I got the virus and I love RVing.
Now that I’m retired I intend to live my passion.
The plan is to buy a used RV in order to travel in the US, Canada and Mexico during about 2 years (quite full time, that is to say for periods of 3 months followed by a more or less one month trip back to family, in France for me and in South America – Ecuador- for Dear Wife). And then, trade it for a better adapted to the SA conditions and make a complete tour of South America. Nice program isn’t it?

Of course I have a lot of questions and need your help.

Q1- Administrative: being a “tourist” I always was renting a vehicle and driving with my French license. I’m still a “tourist” but I now want to buy a RV and insure it. For that, I did understand that I need the American driving license. Am I allowed to get it? The address of a DW’s family member living in Miami could it be considered, if I declare so, as my address in the States (for registration, mail and banking purposes)?

Q2- Administrative: Is it a legal obligation to pay sell tax when a vehicle is bought from a private person?

Q3- Technical: I would like to have a motor bicycle (just a small one: 125 o 250 cm3). Where could I find a support to hang it to the MH (which will be probably a 27 C)?

Q4- Practical: What would be the best way to “store” the MH during one month?

Thanks in advance. :)

Alain

Kirk

quote:Q1- I did understand that I need the American driving license. Am I allowed to get it? The address of a DW’s family member living in Miami could it be considered, if I declare so, as my address in the States (for registration, mail and banking purposes)?
You will need to declare yourself a temporary resident of some location in order to register and insure vehicles. Florida is one of the three most popular states for those of us who live fulltime in RVs so that will be a good choice. I suggest that you contact the Florida Department of Motor Vehicles for information about your driver's license and registration requirements. The family member who lives there can get you the address and phone number.

quote:Q2- Administrative: Is it a legal obligation to pay sell tax when a vehicle is bought from a private person?
The answer to that is usually, yes. You can get the details on that from the DMV as well.

quote:Q3- Technical: I would like to have a motor bicycle (just a small one: 125 o 250 cm3). Where could I find a support to hang it to the MH (which will be probably a 27 C)?

There are several companies that build such equipment. It ranges from a fixed rack to a power lift for a full sized motorcycle. You can find them advertised in "Motorhome" magazine. You might want to subscribe to that magazine just to learn more about what is available.

quote:
Q4- Practical: What would be the best way to “store” the MH during one month?

There are many commercial storage facilities where you can store your RV when you wish. I am sure that one can be found near your relative's home that you plan to use as an address.

You may want to visit the web site in my signature as there is a page under "Fulltime RVing" that was written by a citizen of the UK who is presently doing what you plan. He wrote about what he had to do in order to prepare for this trip.

Alain

Thanks a lot, Kirk, I'll follow your suggestions

hertig

Alain, a couple more points to consider:

Q1. Texas is another of the 3 top states for 'full timers'. I think the third may be South Dakota, but am not sure.

Q2. No, you don't pay sales tax buying a used rig from a private party. They are not authorized to collect it. However, you may need to pay sales tax or an equivalent tax when you register it. This requirement and any exceptions will vary state to state, as will the cost of registration.

Q3. The best solution is probably a platform which slides into the hitch on the RV. This can be as simple as a platform and a ramp, or as complex as to include an 'elevator'. The problem is, that many Class C motorhomes don't have the frame to support a real hitch, or the Cargo Carrying Capacity to handle any weight on the hitch. Keep this in mind when shopping for the RV. A Class A may be more appropriate for this purpose.

Note also that there are regulations for motorcycles as well. I think if it is small enough (engine size), you don't need a license, but then you are restricted where you can operate it.

Q4. Yes, lots of commercial storage facilities. Be aware that storing for 1 month every 3 months may not be easy or cheap. Often such places charge a 'sign up' fee (and sometimes a cleaning fee), and unless you pay the storage for the months you are not there, you may have to repay them each time. And this is assuming they have a space for you when you get back. Also, the odds of theft or vandalism are often greater in such facilities. Storing the rig where you are staying or with your relative may be a better choice, if it is allowed and can be negotiated.