ac and furnace inop

tsickles

my atwod furnace will not come on, my ac will not come on and my fan will not come on i check all the fuses i think that i can find, i also changed the themostat, still nothing is working hlp, i am hooked up to shorw power

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: ac and furnace inop

Well, Believe it or not you need a good battery to operate the Furnace and AC. If you are plugged in and it things still do not work, your converter may not be putting out 12 volts.

tsickles

thank you

i turn off my shore power and the battery was very weak only one 12 volt light came on, i am now plugedinto the shore aand all my lights are on? i know i need to replace a batterey

i am getting +12 VDC on the Red wire going to the thermostat and -!12VDC on blue.

i am baffeled?????

tsickles

tsickles - 4/4/2008 7:13 PM

thank you

i turn off my shore power and the battery was very weak only one 12 volt light came on, i am now pluged into the shore and all my lights are on? i think i need to replace a batterey because all of the water is gone and the cells are dead according to a friend of mind, with the other batterey connected all the lights come on???

i am getting +12 VDC on the Red wire going to the thermostat and -!12VDC on blue.

i am baffeled?????[/QUOTE]

G

does any of u'r lights (the ones u use a night) look dim??? also is this the first time u have noticed this prob with the a/c heater??? ,,, as Ken said u need a good battry to run this stuff ,, the converter does nothing more than power up u'r batt's ,, and if u have one weak it will pull down the other one ,, how many batteries do u have ??? if u have only one ,, i hope that it is a good true deep cycle ,, i would take it out and have it load tested ,, because it can show 12vs ,, but when put in use ,, (using lights and a/c furnace ) it will not be able to stand up to the job ,,, IMO ,, i would have it load tested and then go form there ,,, if it is more than 3yrs old ,, it's prolly bad anyway ,,, please post us back on u'r findings :)
And welcome to the forum :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve:

tsickles

hey thanks

good advice

yea first time, i had two batteries but one had dead cells so now i have only one i have not made this the primary battery yet but will try this later tonight, and buy a new on later for my second batterey. the new thermostat i bought is different then the orginal so if the batterey thing dont work iam going to try and get the same one.

what you think?????

G

U need to replace the batteries as a pair ,, in other words two new ones ,, if u replace just one then the weaker one will drain the new one ,, i know it's kinda expensive ,, but it's worth the money ,,, also make sure , when u replace the batts ,, clean the cables REAL good ,, and ck the ground lead for any major deteration ,, most rv batt probs are related to grounding probs ,,,
Ok for the stat ,, i would do as above ,, and then replace the stat with the original one and see how it works ,, if it works fine then see if can get u'r money back on the one u bought ,,,, if not try the new one ,, and then let us know back ,,, but to me it sure sounds like a battery prob ,, IMO 2 NEW batteries will do the trick :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: ;) :cool:

tsickles

thanks will do i found out one battery was burnt according to the maint tech so i did repalce them good advice;

now an udate on the other issues

i check the 12vdc on the red now it reads 8 i check again then it reds 12 to 13 i check it again then it reads 6 to 8,, this was the first time i seen this problem , i have a light switch above the thermostat so i decided i was going to cross wire the red wire from the thermostat to the light switch, guess what the fan works the ac works but no furnace so i stared to check the wiring at the furnace out side area the on and off switch was fine i had 13 vdc so I checked the cicut breaker on the blower side 12vdc then what appears to be a relay it had a blue wire going to the circuit board no 12vdc so i moved it out of the way so i could see where the wire was going the blower kicked on the furnace started and i had to clean my paints, any way it appeared to be a voltage issue, a lose wire, now i have to return the new thermostat back to camping world after i check my old one out. i was able to id more then just one problems thanks

:laugh:

G

Glad u found the problem ,, and my i ask what it was ,, a rubbed wire or a broken one ,,, also ck the circuit board real good ,, sometimes the solder will get loose on the board ,, and when u move something it makes contact ,, a cracked pc board will do this also ,, but please let us know back on the wiring issue ,,,, now u know what us rv techs go thru ,, day in and day out ,, the misterous wire broken in the insulation tricks :approve: :dead: ;) ;) ;)