Advice, Comments, suggestions Please

Jay

Hi All:
I have a 1988 Pace Arrow 34'. I am in the process of replacing the carpet with pergo or similar type flooring.

Most of the photos of pergo floors in rvs seem to run Length ways. I think that if the planks were going cross ways(Width) it would create a wider look.

Is there a structural advantage for length ways installation?? Will cross ways(width) installation make the cabin appear wider??

Home Depot has a special for a generic brand pergo type flooring for $1.29 a square foot. Seems to be good quality. Any ideas if I should go with original or generic??

Any help will be appreciated. I am setting up a new site-- www.rvhowto.com . I will publish the installation info complete with photos as I go along.

Thanks in advance.

jay

Dayle1

If the underlying floor flexes, then you could have big problems with this type of floor since it 'floats' on the existing floor. There are both glued and snap together types, and in either case, the joints could fail if the floor flexes. You are also supposed to leave a 1/4 inch gap at the walls and this will require rather large mouldings for an RV. If you don't leave the gap, bulging and flexing is more likely. If the underlying floor does not flex, then orientation should not matter. Finally, none of these floors are water proof and few offer a water damage warranty, so they really aren't good candidates for use in an RV. In fact, I doubt that their warranties would apply to an RV application.

erniee

Jay- I would put in the real thing- wood. You can glue that direct to the floor and you still would need a small gap at the walls. If you scratch the laminates you can't fix it. But if you scratch the real wood, you can put some scratch cover on it. Good luck,Ernie

joy

Personally, I feel that a crosswise orientation would not look as good - although the joints are small, they are still seen and that would make an awful lot of crossways lines in your sightline. To me, it would be somewhat like a "strobing" effect.

joy