Advice for east coast trip

shona

RE: Advice for east coast trip

Thanks for all the info. I'll have to spend some time looking up alot of these places. I'm not good with the east coast at all. It sounds great though. No we are not towing anything. Too expensive to rent an RV and a car. I'm still looking for a good rental site that has a choice of RV's if possible. We got an RV with bunk beds last year which worked great with the 4 kids. Not sure whether we will do the round trip this trip or try to drop off. Last year when we travelled ( we drove from LA, Las Vegas, up to Canada through Yellowstone, down the west coast via Oregon, San Francisco, Yosemite and back to LA), The cost to drop off in Washington was huge! We decided to drive back instead. What are your gas prices at now? I think we payed $3.79/ gallon. In Australia at the moment we are at $1.70 per litre or about $6.80/ gallon. YIKES. Thanks again.

Liz

Hi Shona,
My husband and i are flying to the U.S. at the end of Sept '08 for a month to do almost the same road trip as you did. I would love to get any advise you can give me about who you hired your r.v. from and the availability of places to stay in. Obviously it went well due to the fact your going back to do the East coast. WE will be flying in from Australia to L.A. and are trying to plan our trip from there incorporating as you did, L.A. Vegas,Grand Canyon etc. Do you have to stay in caravan(RV,trailer) parks or can you pull over in other places like you can in Oz. Any info & handy hints would be so appreciated. By the way I'm from Perth

shona

Hi Liz,
Gots lots of info for you. Do you have an email address that you want me to send to or would you rather do it on here? We are from Melbourne. Let me know. Happy to do it either way. We also got help from a couple from Sydney that were travelling. They helped us immensely. He answered on here under the name aussie keith. Let me know which way you would like the info.
Shona

Liz

RE: Advice for west coast trip

Hi Shona,
My email address is richill@iinet.net.au Don't care either way how you contact me, I'm just wrapped to hear from you. Any info you have will be so helpful. At the moment don't even know where to start.
Regards Liz

CampingFam

Even though you're not native to America, I'd recommend that you don't miss Washington, DC. The White House, Washington Monument, and other sites are wonderful to see for anyone, American or not. You could also visit the Smithsonian Museums which house many great items, including the Hope Diamond and Fonzie's Jacket from Happy Days :laugh:

shona

Re: Advice for east coast trip

Thanks again for the info. Can anyone tell me what your gas and diesel are now at? Just to give us an idea what it will cost compared to last year when it was about $3.79 per gallon? Still struggling to find another RV rental site if anyone has any tips.
Thanks everyone.
Shona :)

vanole

Here in Va Beach, Virginia gas is running $ 3.82 at (SAMS/BJ'S and COSTCO stores that require membership) and $3.95 at about all other stations. Diesel is running ULSD/LSD$4.65 a gallon at the local Quarles and $4.75 or above at all other local stations.

V/R
Jeff

Pillaz

Here in New York Gas is running about $4.16/gal Deisel is about $4.65. Washington DC is definateley worth a trip to see. My kids love the Air and Space museum. There are many fine places to stay just south of DC on I95 and you can take the train into the captial. I would not drive into DC if I can help it. You can find most state parks and KOA campgrounds on Reserve America.com. If you decide to come to NY Niagra Falls is worth a visit Although it is about a 7 hour drive from NYC. Delaware State Parks are on the Web But you have to call them to make a reservation.
Most Walmarts and Flying J truck stops will let you stay in there parking lots over night for free. New York City had tons to see however driving a MH through it would not be fun. Check reseve america for a campground close to a train station and take a train into the City. Upon further thought. Since you will probably be flying into a major hub, such as JFK airport. Visit New York City for a couple of days and then rent the Rv and see the country.

vanole

Re: Advice for east coast trip

Shona just got my daily e-mail from Quarles and Diesel here in Va Beach today is down 6 cents to 4.59. Please ignore my previous diesel price.

V/R
Jeff