ADVICE ON SHORT-TIMING

JA-UK

HI EVERYONE WE LIVE IN ENGLAND ABOUT 20 MILES NORTH OF LONDON. WE ARE PLANNING A 4 MONTH TRIP TO THE USA MARCH - JUNE 2008. WE ARE PLANNING TO BUY A 5th WHEELER AND TRUCK. THERE SEEMS TO BE PLENTY OUT THERE TO BUY BUT ITS A BIT CONFUSING AS WE DO'NT HAVE THE SAME HERE. OUR BUGET IS AROUND 50'000 DOLLARS AND FROM WHAT WE HAVE SEEN ON THE NET IT LOOKS LIKE WE CAN GET WHAT WE WANT. WE THINK WE LIKE THE LOOK OF HOLIDAY RAMBLER PLUS DODGE OR FORD TRUCK BUT WOULD WELCOME ANY COMMENTS AND ADVICE

DL Rupper

Re: ADVICE ON SHORT-TIMING

It sounds like you are talking used with a $50K budget so I would recommend the Dodge truck and maybe a Montana 5th Wheel. The Montana seems to be in the same price range as the Alumalite Holiday Rambler and I have heard better reports on them. As I always say, just my opinion. :laugh: By the way it is best not to use capital letters on your posts. Somebody will tell you that is the same as shouting. :)

JA-UK

Thanks for the reply DL sorry about the shouting I'm a lousey typer . By the way what do think private or dealer?

DL Rupper

Hey JA-UK, private or dealer is a good question. If you have the time, looking at private owners can save you money in some cases. Private parties usually don't need to make a profit over what they paid/traded for it and don't have overhead to worry about. What you give up with a private party is no recourse if something goes wrong with the RV in the first 30-90 days. However, if you are traveling and are a long distance from the dealer you purchased from, it wouldn't matter much anyway. If you buy from a good responsible dealer he/she should go over the RV and correct all problems before they sell it to you. A private seller may try to hide and not fix any problems they know about.

As a first step go to the Search RV's for Sale in the left column of this forum. You can Search for RV's by years made, type, size, brand and price. Also, there are dealers that advertise on this Forum and they may be of help. You can find them in the left hand column also. Good luck.

DL Rupper

I almost forgot the important stuff: If you buy from dealers (truck/RV) they can assist you with license, registration, title and insurance to name a few legal inconveniences you may encounter being from England. :approve:

JA-UK

Thanks DL this is just the stuff it's hard to get to grips with from this side of the pond. By license do you mean as in driving or as in permission to use on public highways? We do have Family in Baltimore and had intended that they would own RV / truck as a means of making registration and insurance more straightforward

DL Rupper

Sorry, on the license I meant license plate (permission to use0. They come with the registration. Having family in the States will help make everything easier. You could probably buy from either a private party or a dealer without too many problems. Happy RV'ing.