Advise to newbie

wasaths

Hi, we live in Australia, but are Kiwi's, and next year will be holidaying in North America for 6 months, June to November 2010, travelling all over going to classic cars event, swap meets and drag racing events. We plan to start in San Francisco go up to Seattle, across to the East coast and then down the east coast and then back to the west coast and eventually end up Seattle. We intend to buy a Chev/Dodge pickup and a fifth wheel camper or toy hauler and staying at rv parks etc. We would then sell the camper, or get our friend in Seattle to sell the camper, and then head home, or bring the camper home with us, not sure yet.
Does anyone have any suggestions/ideas for our trip, what we should keep an eye out for when looking for a fifth wheeler.
We would also like suggestions about places to camp that are cheap or free. We intend to have something fully self contained.
Thanks for your assistance.
Toni :)

LEN

Re: Advise to newbie

Welcome, you come from two wonderful countries.

As to the 5th wheel look for a good quality one with the floor plan that will work for you, also look for a floor plan that can be refitted with an entry door-doors as you will need to move them when home. Also check out what the what the NZ AU will want as far as inspection at home.
Here are a couple links to explore.

http://www.rvparkreviews.com./

http://www.freecampgrounds.com/

http://www.allstays.com/Campgrounds/campgrounds.htm

LEN

brodavid

Welcome also two beautiful countries, enjoyed visiting them about ten years ago

C Nash

Welcome to the forum Toni. You might want to check into one of the discount camping clubs such as Passport America. Well wort the price if you use them. what type drag racing event will you be looking for? Might want to take in a NASCAR event along the way. Nascar is ok they just can't seem to find the finish line. Just keep going around and around hunting it. We drasters just go straight to it. :laugh: ;)

H2H1

but Nash that short and sweet. most or less than 10 second. So NASCAR does last a little longer and that give me time to get my nap out before they find the finished line. :laugh: :laugh:

wasaths

Funny you say that, I was actually looking at the Passport America website last night and it looks like it would be money well spent to join.
We will be going to a few NHRA meets including the Indy nationals. We will definatly go to a Nascar meet and probably a Baseball game, something a little different to what we are used to. I cant wait, we love vacationing in the US, everyone is so friendly and we have such a great time.

C Nash

Hollis remember I am A.D.D :laugh: so ten seconds is about my atension span :eek: :laugh: :laugh: .
Toni, passport America will more than pay for itself if you use it. The downside is a lot of CGs will not honor it in peak season and some only for one night. I have found that most CGs will let you stay at the discount rate longer than advertized if they are not busy . The CGs that honor Passport can be from a dog to the best. Generally if its cheap cheap its a dog but not all the time. Good luck and enjoy your stay in the good ol USA :approve:

wasaths

RE: Advise to newbie

Ok, thanks for the advise.
Next question is Fifth wheel or travel trailer?
There is only two of us but we maybe picking cars parts and other things along the way so would like a bit of storage room. We were thinking about a 26-28 foot FW or trailer.
I guess the fifth wheel is easier to tow but then you lose the back of the pickup for the gooseneck.
What are your preferences?
Thanks again for you advise.
Toni

C Nash

The 5th wheels tend to have more basement storage but like you said you lose the truck bed or most of it so it's a wash for storage. I like the 5th wheel but JMO. Only you can make that decision. Ck the floor plans and go with the one that suits your plans.

wasaths

Well, we have a new plan now, hire/buy a motorhome.
I tried Cruise America and to rent a rv it was going to cost around $30-35000. So then I thought why not buy one, could get one for around $20-25,000 and then can sell it at the end of the journey.
The other good thing is we could tow a car trailer with a hot rod in it so we can also participate in some of the events we go to, perfect!!!
Obviously we would need a motor home that could tow a car trailer. Does anyone have any comments on this idea, good or bad?
Thanks for your input.
Toni Satherley

C Nash

Toni, don't know what the weight of your trailer and car would be but you probably will need a diesel MH to tow it. Might not be able to find a good trusty one in that price range. jmo

TerriC

Hi....Look up Westsidemotorcoach.com they're close to Chicago IL you can rent a Renegade Motorcoach with unlimited mileage. I personally haven't rented from them yet but hope to. They're at several NHRA races trying to sell they're coaches. They might even have a small trailer to tow for a vehicle. This would be a Diesel which would be better mileage and then once your done your done. No worrying about trying to sell anything plus this would be a dependable way to travel. Next check out NHRA.com and get the schedule and decide what races you want to go to you mentioned the US Nationals (Indy) contact each track about renting a spot close to the fence (track) Another great track to go to is the one at Joliet IL (Chicago) awsome facility. Love Drag Racing....I've got a 285" Blown Injected Alky Dragster that I'm learning to drive so far 204mph @6.67 with a mild tune up. If you need any advice regarding tracks or anything let me know!!! :) :) PS Also check out RacingJunk.com they sell motorhomes, trailers, trucks, etc etc....Good luck. Also there's the trailers with living Qtr's???

TerriC

Hi....Look up Westsidemotorcoach.com they're close to Chicago IL you can rent a Renegade Motorcoach with unlimited mileage. I personally haven't rented from them yet but hope to. They're at several NHRA races trying to sell they're coaches. They might even have a small trailer to tow for a vehicle. This would be a Diesel which would be better mileage and then once your done your done. No worrying about trying to sell anything plus this would be a dependable way to travel. Next check out NHRA.com and get the schedule and decide what races you want to go to you mentioned the US Nationals (Indy) contact each track about renting a spot close to the fence (track) Another great track to go to is the one at Joliet IL (Chicago) awsome facility. Love Drag Racing....I've got a 285" Blown Injected Alky Dragster that I'm learning to drive so far 204mph @6.67 with a mild tune up. If you need any advice regarding tracks or anything let me know!!! :) :) PS Also check out RacingJunk.com they sell motorhomes, trailers, trucks, etc etc....Good luck. Also there's the trailers with living Qtr's???