Air Coditioning

RobMadden

Has anyone set up their RV to run their roof air without the generator, using solar - battery - inverter?
Is it possible?
What did it take?
We are going to be going fulltime shortly and would like to run the air without the generator, so as to not annoy fellow campers - HELP PLEASE

C Nash

Re: Air Coditioning

Robert, welcome to the forum. Not an expert on solar power but the AC would require a big bank of batteries and a bigger panel of solar panels. JMO Don't think it will be pratical to do JMO Maybe some of the electrical guys will give you a better answer later on. :)

LEN

I think one of the old Sub batteries might just work. The 4' x 4' x 3' ones and maybe a solar panel in the 1200 sqft. range. Ok so the point is it can be done but not in a motor home or 5ver or TT. Maybe for a short few minutes but no long time like an hour.

LEN

Kirk

The air conditioners each draw about 13A at 120V-AC. To operate from batteries/solar, you will need 1300A at 12V-DC for each air conditioner. For that, plan to pull a trailer that is stacked full of solar panels that you can set up when you park. And you will need to have cables to them which look like the RV shore power cable and good luck on finding a controller large enough for them all. Then you will probably have to buy a motor/generator set to convert all of that solar power to 120V-AC and so that means a trailer for the set but if you make that a big one, you may be able to put enough batteries there to help with the storage issue. My best guess is that a system that will supply two RV air conditioners is going to weigh in at around 30,000#.

As a former submarine electrician, I suspect that Len is correct about the best battery for that purpose. You might get one of the submarine motor/generator sets to go with it!