Air Conditioning

weekend campers

Have a question about Brookside 5th wheel air conditioner. Took ours out ran air seemed like it only ran for a few minutes then shut off. Bedroom did not cool down is this normal for 5th wheel bedrooms? Any help would be aprreciated.

weekend campers

Re: Air Conditioning

Thanks ken might be but we were in a camp site and others had air running all the time would think all sites would have same watts.

DL Rupper

Check the voltage in the RV. Use a plug-in voltage monitor or a multi-meter. Some RV parks don't have adequate voltage (low)when everyone is running an air conditioner. If that's the case, don't run your a/c as it will screw up your compressor. When voltage is low (below 105 V) your a/c current goes up to compensate and that causes high heat in your compressor.

I use an AutoFormer hooked up to the RV Park voltage connection. It boosts the voltage back up to a safe output (115 V). They are pricey, around $350 for 30 amp and $450 for 50 amp. However, they are well worth it as they save the expense of replacing you a/c prematurely.

weekend campers

thank you both for imput will pass it on to hubby. It just seemed strange the front part of 5th wheel got cool but in the bedroom it didnt. Thought it might be the air unit since it is new and that was the first time we tried it or if all 5th wheel bedrooms didnt cool well.

DL Rupper

Bedrooms take a while to cool. Usually the air conditioner is in the front and the cool air has to travel to the back bedroom.
My 30 foot 5th wheel will never get real cool in temps above 90 degrees. Just too much space for 1 little cooling unit.

weekend campers

Thanks DL that sounds reasonable. It seems that there is only one small air duct in our bedroom ,and its a about 35 long 5th wheel.
Tell me is it better to close the large air duct in the living area or let it be open? Was just wondering if you closed it more air would go back to the bedroom area.

DL Rupper

I'd try partially closing the large front air duct when you are in the bedroom. It should force more air to the back of the RV. If you only have 1 large air duct up front, it might not be a good idea to close it all the way as you will be trying to blow too much air into too small of a duct. My RV has 2 small ducts up front, 1 in the bathroom and 2 in the bedroom.

If you have a lot of sun coming through the windows you can get a roll of reflective insulation at Lowe's and cut it to fit in the windows where the sun is beating down. Another trick is to go to a RV parts store and pick up some vent insulation pillows and stick them in your overhead vents.