Alaska Guidebook and Resource Suggestions?

truenorth

Hello All,

Please post your lists of top "must-have" guidebooks, maps, websites, publications or other resources for researching before hand and taking along for traveling Alaska by road.

Comments about strengths and weaknesses of each will be appreciated, as will the best place to buy/find them.

Experienced roadtrip/RV'ers (to Alaska or similar): please describe what kind of information I won't be able to find in guidebooks etc and will end up writing in columns, developing on own or hacking together from other sources.

Thank you!

RE: Alaska Guidebook and Resource Suggestions?

Of course the Milepost is supposed to be the definitive Alaska guide!

truenorth

Re: Alaska Guidebook and Resource Suggestions?

Is it? What is it missing?

Or - what other resources do you rely on or assemble from elsewhere to fill in what it doesn't have?

What are the best maps to take with you, websites to check out before you go, etc.?

Thanks for responding. :)

C Nash

Hi truenorth
Where will you be leaving from? We went in 2004. Unbelievable trip and no major problem at all. No dreaded flats, broken windshields or problems getting gas or place to stay. Toad did come loose from MH coming back through Canada but I had the breaking system on the toad and the only damage was a bent ladder on rear of MH. Check your hitch every time you stop. Think someone pulled the key on the pin because I have never sheared one before. Take plenty of insect repellent the mosquetos are terrible and HUGE. Plan on at least 3 weeks in Alaska and drive the dirt road to the Artic if mpossible. I would not take a camper up it but the Brooks range is worth the drive of around 800 miles of dirt road. Give the truckers plenty of room and go to the side of the road when meeting them they will respect you when possible. Vist as many forums as you can and just put Alaska in search and you will find loads of info. You will have some that say the roads are terrible and some like me that say they are as good as we have here in the lower 48. just a matter of opinion. Some will not take their MH and will purchase a small rv to go in. We took our MH and would and want to go again. Go to the Alaska highway site and they give road conditions but be aware that their roads can change overnight. The Milepost is a great start but purchase the latest edition. Use credit cards going through Canada and you will get the best exchange. We used Visa. At&T phone service worked pretty good all the way and you can purchase service for Canada for an extra 10 bucks and won't have any roaming charge. Really all you need to get there is a good road map, Not but one road once you get to Dawson and plenty of sightseeing time. We were gone 3 months and needed more. Just a few things that come to mind.

Truenorth,
I didn't mean that was the only thing to take! In my case I took my wife who lived there for 7 years.

G

uh tex ,, ck the date on this post :eek: :eek: :) :)

C Nash

Hope they made it to Alaska :laugh: Wish they would report back

TexasClodhopper

There was a spammer post here with advertising. I've not gone over the hill yet.

G

ok .. i forgive u for now ,, but got another one posting

whitey

Hey Nash

OH i see you found out the hard way about the Alaska Air Force. :cool: :)

C Nash

Well if you mean I found it by driving Gerald you are correct. This is the only way in my opinion :approve:

whitey

Hey Nash;

The mosquito is what we call the Alaska Air force, they would come in swarms after a rain get in your eyes and mouth and bite on you bad. We even had trouble at times trying to see our aiming post thur the perscope it hard to fire atry when you have a bunch of mosquito swarming around your head. :blackeye: :blackeye:

C Nash

There were plenty of them and they were HUGE. Bigger than some of our birds :laugh: . Didn't bother me though guess I just taste bad :eek: