Alaska

Has anyone driven to Alaska? We're planning the trip during April-May. I'd like to know a little about roads conditions, best routes, gas costs and if RV parks are plentyful enroute. Thanks.

H2H1

Re: Alaska

Hello Thomas, I know there is 2 on this forum that has, AKJIMMY and Chelse Nash. AKJIMMY was this passed year and Chelse was a few years back. I am sure they will reply to you on here or they may PM you . I am planning on flying up to Seattle and cruising the inner banks this up coming year.

LEN

Hollis,
We just did that. Look at the Holland line. Had a great time. We did the cruise then the 5 day land. Total was just under $4000 with trip insurance(and that included all the tours at each stop and the train plus Denali) for the two of us out of Seattle with air back to Seattle.

As to the route,I'm thinking of the Alaska thing this spring too. The book on the mile post tells it all and the fuel will be more in Canada by a bit and the same in Alaska. Just don't stretch the tank, at half fill up again no matter what the cost.
Dang starting to snow again here!!!

LEN

C Nash

Thomas, we drove our HR Vacationer from Alabama to Alaska in 2004. No problems at all. We towed our 2002 chevy tracker. You could still run into snow in April. The roads were fine but you will run into sections on the Alaska hw thats has construction due to road conditions. Watch the lines on the road and if they dissapear slow down because there is probably a dip due to the ice heaves. Also watch for little flags beside the roads. They keep pretty close ck on road conditions and will place the flags where rods need work. Purchase the lastest Milemarker magazine. Gas and camping were no problem although some may be closed in April. Be sure all tires are new and keep air pressure checked. Vehickles will get dirty but there will be wash stations at some cgs for a fee. Yes, take a toad. The drive up the ice road from Fairbanks to Prudoe bay is worth the time but do this in the toad. We left the MH at a cg in Fairbanks. Dirt road around 800 miles round trip. Awesome seenery through the Brooks range and yes this is part of the ice road they have shown the truckers driving on tv. We made no reservations and had no problem with camping other than the fourth in Hains. Any questions feel free to ask. Do the drive trip. Worth ever penney.

akjimny

Thomas - The Boss Lady and I drove up this Spring. Left Florida on May 1st, arrived in Anchorage on May 26th. Would have been there sooner, but spent four days in North Florida with our niece while our generator was being looked at.

The campgrounds in Canada all seem to open around May 1st, so we didn't have any problems finding a place to stay. Gas prices thru Canada were HORRID!! :eek: :eek: They sell gas by the liter and the most I paid worked out to $5.45 (US) per gallon. I planned our trip for 300 to 400 miles a day, and gassed up whenever I got to half a tank. I towed our Chevy van on a tow dolly but had no problems finding pull-thru camping spots.

Expect the roads to be suffering from "break-up" in the Spring. The roads frost heave during Winter and the pavement breaks up. The Canadians are very good at marking the broken places. Just be on the look-out for red flags along the shoulder of the road. They had all the broken places fixed when we came back in September, except for a 50 mile stretch of mud/gravel that they were repaving.

If you go up in the early Spring you should see plenty of wildlife along the highway. We saw black bear. brown bear, moose, caribou, a coyote, a fox and a bunch of bison. Be sure to have your camera ready.

It is a beautiful trip and we will be heading out again this Spring, on or about April 15th. we're going up to PA to visit an old Army Buddy, then across to Shelby, Montana, then up into Canada and the ALCAN. I'll be checking the RVUSA website regularly (if the campgrounds or McDonald's have wi-fi). Drop me a note if you decide to come and maybe we can meet out on the road somewhere. :) :) :)

catawba

flew to Anchorage and rented a 27 ft MH,,,,drove all around Alaska...plenty of pulloffs and open space :) as mentioned before, use the current milepost book...took bus to farthest Denali point (many hours in school bus on dirt road) but well worth it....also took a small van tour to Artic circle and had picnic along the Yukon River....found a family that provided horseback rides across the frozen tundra...now we have a class C of our own (and now retired from state) looking forward to returning to Alaska possibly next year (are there any "caravans" that travel in small groups ? We have a Chinook (prev. a Roadtrek that we loved !) New to this site and enjoying all the info....Kris and Laura :)

akjimny

Hi Kris and welcome to the RVUSA Forum. Congratulations on your purchase. I things go according to plan, Boss Lady and I will be leaving out of Alaska in September going to the Meet & Greet in Tennessee and then on down to Florida for the winter. We will be heading back to Alaska in the spring of 2012 (probably around the first of May) and welcome anyone who wants to caravan along. I'll post up more the closer it gets to "Go" time.

Welcome again and we'll look forward to hearing more from you. :) :) :)

C Nash

Welcome to the forum Kris. There are caravans that make the trip but I personally would never pay to go in one of these. You will met rvers along the way and be in your own caravan doing as you please. A drive you will never regret.

Coyotegroovy

Pullen RV park in Juneau Alaska is a pretty great place! Although, all of places along the way are pretty great places to! Good luck! and safe travels!! I jealous ;)