Allegro Chevy 454

bdb9122

I have an allegro MH with a chevy 454 engine. It is an 1984. I brought it three weeks ago. I put it on the road and it began to run hot after about 2 hours into the trip. I found out that the alternator belt/fan belt had come off. It was dry rotted. I made it to my destination and then lost the power steering belt. I also had that replaced. I think that the unit sat for so long that the belts suffered to the elements. I would like to buy some extra belts to keep in case of emergency. I need to know the numbers to the belts (power steering and also Alternator). I failed to ask the mechanics who replaced them....
Also the hot water heater is pretty old. The ignite but that you puch is gone. Any suggestions on that? Other than that she runs great for the price that I gor her for..

Bush70

Re: Allegro Chevy 454

the numbers should be right on the new belts they replaced. You may have to turn the pullys around to see them but they should be right there. The water, I assume that it is not auto. light. You have a gas valve with a pilot position to light it . If so you can either get a new igniter or use a spark liter or a match.

Kirk

I am guessing that your water heater never had the push button lighter. Most of the water heaters of that era did not. I would just use one of those long reach butane lighters such as are sold to light a gas barbeque.

C Nash

The V pulley on the alternator was bad to wear out on this model 454 which will cause the V belt to bottom out and slip. Will burn them up pretty quick. Just something to be aware of.

russellmd

RE: Allegro Chevy 454

:eek: did you ever get the water heater to work? we just purchased the same RV and can not get the water heater to work

russellmd

:dead: we found out the hard way.... 3 belts 1000 miles. every one in a different state and in the middle of nowhere. still can not light the water heater any help?

Kirk

If it were me, I'd get all of the belts replaced as well as all rubber hoses and check the dates on the tires too.