Allison 545

I have a 1988 Rockwood with a 4 spd auto transmission.

I am trying to find the model number for this. I am told it's a 545. Research on ther internet shows the 545 as a 5 or 6 speed.

I also have a Cat 3208 engine. I need to find the serial number so that I can find out more info on the engine.

buck

Allison 545

I suspect you have an MT643 - look on the side of the transmission for the ID plate.

Ours is a 250HP 3208T CAT with the MT643 in a Gillig chassis - '87 Marquis by Beaver.

Allison 545

Well, I appreciate the reply.
Is your tranny a 4 speed? Any comments/recommendations if 4 speed? Have not really drove it that much except from Hilton Head, SC to Beaumont, CA. Mostly flat.

The engine runs very smooth. Where are you geographically?

buck

Allison 545

Hey David,

I have had no problems with the transmission - yes, it is a 4 sp. I would like the gearing of a 6 sp but this does well for us and our coach. Boy!, SC to CA - that's a ride! Problem is you left us behind :laugh: - we are up by Charleston, SC.

The 3208 and MT643 was a popular comination back in those days - been told it's pretty bullet proof if taken care of.

Take care and enjoy,
Buck

RE: Allison 545

Buck;

Now I find that my speedometer does not work.

I called Spartan and they sent me a Speedo Drive Data (3 sheets). All greek to me.

It could be anything. Always something.