Allison 6 Speed

Old Forum Post

[Jim M] I have a new Winn Ultimate with 300 Cat and Allison It sometimes has trouble deciding on gears when going up a hill in 6th. Down shifts then upshifts several times before settling. Is this normal? Anyone else experience this problem.

Old Forum Post

Allison 6 Speed

[Butch] My Allison does pretty much the same when on a mild climb and for that reason I normally run in "economy mode". Economy Mode delays the upshift and also the downshift. If I have a pretty good climb coming up I will switch off the economy mode. Happy motoring, Butch

Old Forum Post

Allison 6 Speed

[Captjimmy] Butch: thanks! Now I have to really show my ignorance--I didn&#039t know there was an economy mode, how do you activate it!

Jim

Old Forum Post

Allison 6 Speed

[Chuck] Economy mode controls shift times going thru the gears, shifts at lower rpms, if no strain.. Keep in mind that 5th and 6th are overdrives in this trans. With my Cat(330) the fifth will keep rpms at about 2100, "sweet" spot on the torque curve, and a great uphill pull. Don&#039t be afraid to shift down, even better do shift down. The Cat runs/pulls so well we tend to get lazy. If you push the buttons and keep around 2000 rpms your engine will be much happier pulling. You should have gotten an Allison manual with some of this, some just comes with experience. If you try to pull in the Rockies at lazy rpms 16-1700 you will probably overheat. Happy Trails...

Old Forum Post

Allison 6 Speed

[gdauth] On the transmission selector push button pad there is a button labled Mode and a LED that is lit when it is active. When you first start up, the mode is turned off. If you push the button, the LED will light indicating that Mode is active. On most motor homes, Mode is programmed for Ecomony Mode. To revert to performance Mode push the Mode button again to deactivate economy Mode and the LED will go out. I generally use economy mofe on flat areas or with low rolling hills. I also actively shift gears manually in order to keep RPM it the optimal range.