Allison do not shift warning

swhite

Re: Allison do not shift warning

all 2nd hand info - the local truck repair shop is doing the work and getting assistance from allison (not sure if it is the local allison certified rebuilder ww wiliams or allison direct).
The local shop is not charging me for any of the "troubleshooting" since they cannot figure it out. But you can tell they are pretty much at the end of their rope on what to do. The original job was just a simple drop and swap - Everyone thought it was pretty straight forward. It has turned in to quite a project. If you want to call and speak to them directly feel free to do so 740-289-3490 ask for BJ..... At this point I am sure he is open to suggestions/help :)

swhite

I completely forgot about this thread :)
Yes we finally figured it out.....It was in the harness.
The bad:
Technically the old transmission was not the problem at all but rather a couple of wires on the harness near the connector at the transmission were failing. I was told that it would test out fine when it was disconnected but failed when it was connected to trans. (I guess it's possible)

The good:
Even though it turns out the the new transmission may not have been needed. The new transmission gave the RV a completely upgraded feel. It has more power, shifts are more positive, climbs hills better than ever and WOT downshifts are much much better.

ninos

nice I'm glad to hear that It worked out for you, but that must of been a expensive repair, good luck for the future, Joe.

swhite

It was about $6500 all said and done. But I know that everything is done right, now.... And it should be good for a long long time.
Nothing is cheap when it comes to diesel pushers

dbarton291

swhite - 12/30/2009 6:38 AM

I completely forgot about this thread :)
Yes we finally figured it out.....It was in the harness.
The bad:
Technically the old transmission was not the problem at all but rather a couple of wires on the harness near the connector at the transmission were failing. I was told that it would test out fine when it was disconnected but failed when it was connected to trans. (I guess it's possible)

The good:
Even though it turns out the the new transmission may not have been needed. The new transmission gave the RV a completely upgraded feel. It has more power, shifts are more positive, climbs hills better than ever and WOT downshifts are much much better.

Well, I'm glad it's fixed. Thanks for following up.

The ability to trace wiring, troubleshoot wiring harnesses, and having the patience to make all the necessary checks even when it's a PIA is one of the marks of a good technician. This one is most likely due to terminal tension, which was discussed earlier in this thread.

swhite

Finding a good technician seems to be even more difficult than tracing wire issues. Money was not a problem, as I have no problems with paying good money to fix it right.
The problem is in our area, finding someone who actually knew what they were doing is pretty tough.... And it wasn't just at the mom and pop shops either. It was at every level.

LEN

Must agree but in defence of these tech's the complexity of almost any thing anymore is out of sight. Even with reasonable training they are always running into new problems that they have not seen before and they work on every rig and option that comes in not just one type of equipment they can become very good at.

LEN