Allison transmission hesitating in Reverse

twdevore

My father has a 2004 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Diesel that hesitates when he shifts into reverse. I've been searching chat sites all evening and it looks like there might be some Allison transmisson experts here. He's talked to other owners and found that they have this problem. The dealers can't find anything and even after speaking to Allison he couldn't get any real information. His worry is that the transmission is going to breakdown in the middle of one of my parent's trips. Anyone experience this?

team3360

Allison transmission hesitating in Reverse

quote:Originally posted by twdevore

My father has a 2004 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Diesel that hesitates when he shifts into reverse. I've been searching chat sites all evening and it looks like there might be some Allison transmisson experts here. He's talked to other owners and found that they have this problem. The dealers can't find anything and even after speaking to Allison he couldn't get any real information. His worry is that the transmission is going to breakdown in the middle of one of my parent's trips. Anyone experience this?
HI WELCOME . I HAVE AN '02 W/ALLISON .I CURRENTLY HAVE A PROBLEM WITH ITS DOWNSHIFTING, IT LOCKS IN DEFAULT (A SAFETY MODE) AND WONT COME OUT UNTILL YOU SHUT OFF THE KEY, WAIT 30 SEC. AND RESTART. I HAVE HAD A REMAN TRANS INSTALLED,OUTPUT SPEED SENSOR, TRANSFER CASE REBUILT ALL TO HELP NONE. NOW THE DEALERS TELL ME IT COULD BE THE NETURAL SAFETY SWITCH (NSS), THESE NEW TRUCKS ARE SO COMPLEX WITH ELECTRONICS THAT IT COULD be A LOT OF THINGS . DOES IT DO THIS ALL THE TIME OR JUST WHEN ITS RAINING. THERE IS A TECH. BULLETAN OUT BY GM , # 02-07-30-011C JUNE /04 IT HAS TO DUE WITH THE LEFT FRONT TIRE THROWING WATER UP ON THE( NSS) ON LEFT HAND TURNS AND CAUSING PROBLEMS. I'M NOT A CERT. MECH. BUT I HAVE RESEARCHED THIS ALLISON VERY INDEPTH THE LAST MONTH AND THIS COMES TO MIND .I ENROLLED IN A SERVICE ON LINE AT www.alldata.com it cost 24.95 first year and 14.95 to renew or add other vehicles but you have access to all the service and tech. bulletins plus your DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES, even recalls. well worth the money. hope this helps team3360