Allison Transmission Questions

AllisonMan

Hi there Armstrong,
Sorry it took me so long but it has been a busy week. I would call Clarke Detroit Diesel Allison in Memphis @ 901 396-7320. They will not be able to work on your pick-up but may be able to tell you which GMC dealer in your area. There is another option which is General Truck Sales & Service Inc. in Memphis @ 901 345-3270. General seems to be the big GMC dealer in Memphis and they do have authorization to do Allison maintenance. If you have a problem and the dealer does not know about the Service Information Letter, have them call me @ Pacific DDA 360 887-7400 and ask for Rick F in the Allison shop. Thanks and have a great day! :)

Armstrong

Mr. AllisonMan
Thank you again for your time, knowledge and willingness to help. As soon as I can I will make contact with the folks in Memphis. Best regards and keep up the good work.

02AlliMax

AllisonMan, I would like to get some information from you about where to take my truck for service. I have had "NO" problems with my trans at all, well, I have a momentary surge when cold and coming to a stop sign while doing a "California Stop" it seems to slip and then surge forward. It only does it the first stop of the day and works GREAT the rest of the time. Now back to the initial question...I live halfway between San Francisco and Sacramento and I would like to have a contact if I ever need one. I purchased a "Deep Pan" from Stewart/Stevinson in Sacramento but, I dont know if they would do any service. If you have time Please supply me with a contact.
Thanks....

Capt Bill

Hello AllisonMan

I just came home this week with my first DP/Allison powered motorhome; an '02 Winnebago Horizon, which has the 3000 MH transmission. There are 22,000 miles on the rig, and I am not sure about the service history. I drove the motorhome about 1200 miles, and everything seems fine, except possibly the shifts may be a little harsh, but I really don't know, as I have nothing to compare to. I do know that in some city driving they were.

I really appreciate you and this forum, and would like to do business with your company, but Portland is a little far. So I would like to hear from you on 1.) recommended distributor to perform routine service & system check, and 2.) obtain the necessary filters, etc to do my own. Can these be purchased from you, or would you suggest another source for filters and Transynd? Any advice to a newbie on driving with this trans? Thanks so much.

rscholtes

Allison Man: Have a 2003 Winnebago Adventurer 35U Workhorse Chassis with Allison 1000. Want to replace the filter at 5000 miles but am having defficulty finding out if it was delivered with Dextron or TranSynd. Checked with Winnebago, Workhorse and Allison. Took delivery in May 2003 and understand all Allisons after March 2003 had the preliminary fill with TranSynd but am not certain if it was later topped off with Dextron. Since I will only lose a quart or two when changing the filter at 5000 miles would it be okay to go with TranSynd and then refill it all with TranSynd when the time for change comes? Thanks

AllisonMan

Hi 02AlliMax,
I will check out a distributer in your area tomorrow. Its been really busy here so I have not been able to repond sooner. So, please keep looking and I will get a shop for you. Thanks and have a great day! :)

AllisonMan

Hi Capt Bill,
Try hitting your mode buton when you are in town. When you are in town going from light to light, you step down farther on the throttle pedal and this raises the shiftpoints. By hitting the mode button, your shift points lower a bit when you are over 80% throttle.This also helps when climbing hills.
Changing filters is easy. All the instructions come in an Allison filter kit. If you have any questions during your filter change, please call me at 360 887-7556 and hopefully i can get right back to you if I do not answer right away. The one part that might need explaing is flushing your cooler. See some of my last posts for those instructions or give me a call.
Thank you and have a great day! :)

AllisonMan

Hi rscholtes,
This is always a hard one to answer. If I get an LCT in and am not sure what kind of fluid it has, I look at the dipstick. There should be a plastic Transynde tag on it or a red wire tie that used to have one attatched to it. If neither is there, I assume it has regular DexronIII.The OEM usually opts for the cheaper fluid.
Thanks for the question and have a great day! :)

AllisonMan

Hey again Alli,
I do not know the area well but I looked up the area codes and found San Leandro to be close to the San Fran - Oakland area. Sierra Detroit Diesel Allison is the Allison distributer in that region. They should be able to provide you with the best dealer for you to take your pickup to. Their number is 510 635-8991. I hope this helps and if they do not want to help, please let me know. Thanks and have a great day! :)

AllisonMan

Hi Capt,
Penn Detroit Diesel Allison is the closest distributer to you but they are in Philly. Thats the problem with living in the wonderful area that you do, not too many services LOL. Their number is 215 335-0500.You also have a choice of a closer dealer. The best one in your area would be I.G. Burton & Co. Inc. They are in Milford. Their number is 800 876-3041 and they should have parts if you choose to do on your own. They are not a full op dealer only maintenance. Have a great day! :)

Capt Bill

AllisonMAn,

Thanks for the quick reply and good information. I've read all the posts you have made, and will re-read again before changing filters. I appreciate the offer to call you, and will do just that as soon as I have all the materials needed for the job. You're a great asset to this forum.

kcklein

I am new to this forum. I posted a new topic but did not use the reply function. My post is shown as Approved fluids. Thanks for your help.

kcklein

I wanted to install a oil temperature sender in my 1000 series 5 speed Allison transmission but to my dismay I was informed that there is no provision for a temperature sender on this transmission. Why isn't this provided for us that want to monitor the oil temp?

AllisonMan

Hi Capt Bill,
I tried returning your call but only got an answering machine. I am on vacation (WOOOOEEEEEEEE) Mon Tues and Wed so Thursday would be a good day to get a hold of me or ask question here and I may get answer to you sooner since I'm a busy forman and cannot get to answer phone messages until later. Thank you for your kind words I really appreciate them! Have a Great Day! :)

AllisonMan

Hi kcklein,

You can put a "T" Allison fitting in your to cooler port and install a temp gauge. If you have a pick-up. you will have to replace the whole cooler hose and fittings to acomplish this. I will look up the "T" part number when I get back to work on Thursday. None of the Allison new World or LCT have a provision for a sender. It would make my life easier. I will bring this up at our yearly meeting in Reno whenever that will be. I have not been informed yet.Thank you for the question and have a great day! :)

Capt Bill

AllisonMan,

Thanks for returning my call, and wish I had been there to take it. I call after you get back from vacation. Enjoy your time off.

kcklein

Thanks for your post. www.allisontransmission.com has a web site which has a listing of all the approved C4 transmission fluids that can be used. It is titled "C4 Approved Fluids List, Allison Transmission Division, General Motors Corp - after you get into the web site click Service - click Approved C4 fluids - click Download C4 approved fluids list. Amsoil approval number is C4-17071192, Mobil approval number is C4-21132295. Question: can these oils be used in my 1000 series allison transmission? If not this list is a little bit misleading. Ken

AllisonMan

Hi kcklein,
Yes they are on this list as a C4 fluid equivelent to DexronIII. I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying that Amsoil is an approved synthetic oil. Sorry for the misunderstanding and have a great day! :)

shrek58

Hi Allison Man,

I'm about to move from my gas rig to a diesel pusher for the first time. Could you tell me if there is any real noticable difference between the CAT 7.2L 330h.p. and the CAT 5.9L 300h.p. both with Allison 6 speed? I intend to either tow a mid size suv or a trailer with my 2 Harleys.
Thanks!

galliano

Allison Man. I had my 1997 Holiday Rambler DP on a freightliner Chassis serviced at your facility in Ridgfield in July 03. It is rated at 275HP. You reprogrammed my 3060 and also put the recommended synthetic fluid in it. Everything is operating fine. I just discovered from Cat that there is a software upgrade to the Engine that raises the torque from 800fp to 860fp and bumps the horsepower up 25 to 300hp. My question is will my 30606 speed allison stand the increased torque? Any help appreciated or from any RVer that has had this done. Thanks Bruno Galliano