Allison Transmission Questions

william phelps

quote:Originally posted by AllisonMan

Hi there. I have worked on Allison Transmissions for 27 years. If you have any questions, please post and I will check back once a week and try to answer them all. Thanks and have a great day! :)

galliano

William. I will post the same question to you I have 1997 Holiday Rambler DP on a freightliner Chassis. It is rated at 275HP. I just discovered from Cat that there is a software upgrade to the Engine that raises the torque from 800fp to 860fp and bumps the horsepower up 25 to 300hp. My question is will my 3060 speed allison stand the increased torque? Any help appreciated or from any RVer that has had this done. Thanks Bruno Galliano

william phelps

Hello Allison Man! I recently purchased a cummins 230 hp and a allison world transmission out of a burned Dynasty motorhome. My plans are
to install the engine and trans into a 28 ft airstream motorhome. Unfortunenately the computor and wiring were burned up. The dynasty was a
93 and it looks like the trans is a wtec 11 with the rectangular plug on the case. I have heard there were a lot of leaking problems with the plug.
The trans and engine have under 50,000 mile. I will need a trans computer and wiring. the engine is not computerized. How should I proceed.
Thanks for being here!! William

eagle1

AllisonMan
Well did the code thing, and came up with a D1 2423 even when cold. I also added a quart of fluid, and the lo went away. I tried to clear the 2423 with the mode button, but it came back. Any ideas? Thanks for al your help
Eagle1 Go to Top of Page

AllisonMan

Hi Shrek 58,
Are the cost differences a concern? Horsepower is misleading, torque is what you should look at. The Allison transmission is engineered for each engine and as far as performance, either is a good choice. When these moterhomes came out with the MD way back in 93, the engines were only 185 horsepower and there are still many of them out there. You must be looking at the MD3000MH and it is rated for 400 hsp @1200 ft lbs.so you will be happy with whichever you choose, its just the bragging rights around the campfire (LOL)
Thank you and have a great day! :)

AllisonMan

Hi again galliano,
Sorry to say your MD3060 is only rated for 285 hsp @ 800 ft lbs torque. The new MD3000MH is rated higher at 400 hsp @ 1200 ft lbs. Sorry to say it would not be advisable to bump yours up. Thanks and have a great day! :)

AllisonMan

Hi William,
It will be hard to figure out which ECU calibration you would need. Can you still read the label on the ECU? Wiring is also an OEM item but in Hillsboro Oregon the is a company that will make up harnesses for you. They are Hillam Custom Control Inc. @ (503) 693-8574. I will look back soon to see if your label was ok. Thanks and have a great day! :)

AllisonMan

Hi Eagle 1,
I think wire 147 (ECU terminal T27) is shorted to ground. This is usually inside the valve body module and the wire rubs against the internal seperator plate, shorts to ground, and thus pegs the temp into a false oil hot situation. You will need to have repaired by a good Allison dealer or distributor. Make sure they look real close at the wire by the seperator plate sometimes very hard to see but it will be there. Should be around a 5 to 6 hour job. Thanks and have a great day! :)

shrek58

Allison Man,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, cost is an issue. My concern was for pulling torque & not necessarily hp. I was willing to ante up for a large difference in torque, but if only a moderate difference my budget works better for the 300. Thanks for your time and advice !

william phelps

Hi Al; You have got to figure out how to charge for this service. We are obviously a larger crowd than you realized and you may soon have to quit your day job just to keep up. Anyway, as for the old computer for my allison it was burned so bad we could not even identify it as the right box. I have located a new W-2 box that we are fairly sure is what I need. I have all the numbers off of it and I was going to contact allison with the numbers and see if we could identify what it was built for. The guy is a little proud of it though I think he said $700.00. Is there a way I can contact allison with the numbers and they can tell me what it was built for? The other question was the rectanglar plug in. Do they all leak? I found a place in Canada that supposedly builds a lot of wiring harneses for allison. When I contacted them they said no problem. What about the life expectancy of this transmission? It has 47000 miles on it and it was in a 24000 pound coach that pulled a jeep behind it. The oil had been changed to the good stuff and it certainly does not smell burnt. Thank you for your advice in advance! Oh I have another question on the general board under the caption "AT545 and 321 gears"

Hancock

Hello AllisonMan, I have a MD3060 and my cruise isn't working. I've been troubleshooting this with help from King Cruise. I'm thinking it is the Allison Speed sensor. Can you tell me how to check it, where it's at, etc? Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks AndyH.

AllisonMan

Hi William,
Give me the numbers and I can run it on my computer at work and let you know all the details, or if you have a fax, I can send you all the information. All I need is the CIN# and it should start with OB, OC, OD or 0E.
The square connectors do not leak, it is the old style dipstick plug. There are two holes, one on each side of the trans. one has your dipstick, the other a plug. If you have a plug with a 13mm head on it, yes it will leak. You will have to get a plug and seal from a dealer or distributor. The part numbers are 29530328 for the plug and 29507823 for the seal.
That will be $300 please! JUST KIDDING LOL. My reward is helping Allison customers (also I do get to see a few MH come to our shop) Thank you and have a great day! :)

AllisonMan

Hi Hancock,
If it is the output speed sensor you are refering to, your speedometer runs with this signal so I do not believe this would be the problem. Also these are sensitive sensors and any glitch would throw a code and you would fail to a preselected gear or not be able to put in gear. Is there any throttle signal? (TPS) Can you do me a favor and check codes with your tower. Just turn key to ignition, press both arrows at the same time once or twice a(until d then 1 is displayed. If there are two -- after d1, then you have no codes. I am suspecting you may have a code d1 21 12. Please let me know your findings. Have a great day! :)

william phelps

Allison man you are worth your weight in gold. I have had guys try to sell me a new trans case to get rid of the rectangular plug in. As for the dip stick plug, this transmission has two dipsticks one long one and one short one. Now for the CIN numbers. the number he gave me over the phone started with a 08 but that must mean he mis read it and it is a 0B any way the cin number he gave me was 08004GC024C. Thanks so much for your service.

galliano

Allison Man. Why at the Allison site does it list the MD3060 for special service such as fire trucks etc or special service rated up to 962foot lbs of torque? Thanks again Bruno Galliano

galliano

Allison Man. Why at the Allison site does it list the MD3060 for special service such as fire trucks etc or special service rated up to 962foot lbs of torque? Thanks again Bruno Galliano

galliano

Hancock

Hi AllisonMan, Well the tower codes are... 1st push(7 0, O L, - -), 2nd push (D 1, - -). And, the speedometer does work so this "shadetree" mechanic (that's me) must be headed in the wrong direction. The cruise works in the "fast idle" mode but will not ingage and hold on the road. If I manually hold "engage/accel", it will engage, but continue to accel until I release then it drops out again? Any ideas? I'm headed towards Portland in Oct and if you feel your firm knows these "King" cruise controls, I would like to stop and let you service the engine, chassis, tranny and fix the cruise? I've attempted to have the cruise fixed at Freightliner dealers, but they won't take it with the understanding of a diagnoisis and estimate after one hour. At $100 an hour, I can't affort to let them troubleshoot for 4 hours or more :( .