Allison transmissions and broken flexplates

gdw

RE: Allison transmissions and broken flexplates

If it were mine i would mention to the mechanic to pull the oil pan on the engine and check the thrust washer main bearing to see if it was worn out or even gone which would allow excessive end play of the crank and would constantly being flexing back and forward with the engine torqueing up and down.

gdw

If it were mine i would mention to the mechanic to pull the oil pan on the engine and check the thrust washer main bearing to see if it was worn out or even gone which would allow excessive end play of the crank and would constantly being flexing back and forward with the engine torqueing up and down.

dbarton291

gdw - 9/5/2010 1:40 AM

It could definitely contribute. As mentioned in an earlier post, checking engine thrust is a part properly performed adaptation measurements.

sob

Check to see if the crankshaft end play is excessive, meaning the cank when under a load pushes backward into the trans, then witout load walks forward. Then if they try to get out of warranty talk with the state atty general consumer fraud division.

Wristpin

Re: Allison transmissions and broken flexplates

This is very good reading and I would love to know the outcome of his problem.
I wish he would give us an update :)

jmholley

This past weekend the flexplate on my 2004 Fleetwood Providence had a similar failure.

All bolts sheared off from flesplate to converter.

Coach only has 19000 miles.

$2000+ tow bill.

$3000+ to repair. $1000 for the bell housing which has a hole in it when flexplate came apart.

I am in negotiations with Freightliner, but I am very interested to " hear the rest of the story".

What was the final outcome?

Are you convinced this will not happen again?

We travel to remote places... sometimes with no cell service, and I do not want to get stuck for days somewhere.

Since the flexplate failed I could not start the engine. No air for chassis or brakes. It was difficult at best to get on and off the flatbed.

I have considered getting out of this coach once it is repaired.

Thx, Jim