Alternative Fuel

jek18

This all this talk of "Oil"... Why isn't (or are they?) the RV industry looking at alternative methods of power? Such a flat roof, would be a great location for photo-voltaic solar panels running electric motors at each wheel.

utmtman

Re: Alternative Fuel

If you would read the rv mags and follow them regularly you would know the answer to that and believe me they are and do look at the alternatives all the time. They would almost have to do like they do a locomotive and run an engine to run the generators to turn the wheels because of weight but they are looking at and trying all kinds of things. To do solar the amount of batteries needed they said would take the entire cargo area and the entire rv would have to be solar panels. Not sure I would go without storage area and drive a totally solar panel looking vehicle.

elkhartjim

What about turning water to fuel?
icon_smile_big.gif
icon_smile_big.gif
icon_smile_big.gif

Kirk

If the day is all sunny, most class A RVs could generate enough power to move that RV about 8 miles, is the figure that I read in a recent story.

DL Rupper

:dead: to alternative fuels. I use less total energy in my RV than any inhabitants of stick houses. The greenies can all go P@#$ up a rope. :approve:

C Nash

Yes our rvs do use a lot of fuel when on the road but not near as much as most vehicles that are used daily over a year time. We use lot less water and are used to conserving in many ways that we don't in every day life. We use less energy for heating, cooling, lighting, cooking than a home. There is still pleny of oil with the new ways of getting it. Yes, common sense says we will run out one day so we should be hunting alternative fuels or means of moving a vehicle. The oil gurus have us where they want us. Now if Tex will just open his wells we will be ok and have gas again at a buck a gallon or maybe Shadow or 730 will ferment some of that hay for fuel :eek: :laugh: :laugh:

H2H1

we just need new and more refineries, we got the oil but no way to refine it. if we had more refineries then Tex could refine his oil and give it to us (yeh right) well maybe at a real good price, I even drive out to get it :approve:

C Nash

Forget finding Tex Hollis. When we went through Texas he told us to wave at him from the Dairy Queen. Texas has more Dairy Queens than cows :eek: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ;)

H2H1

I don't remember seeing the first one, hum must bee looking at the flat land and fighting the cross wind

C Nash

Texas has it all for sure Dairy Queen, wind, Dairy Queen, rain, Dairy Queen, snow, Dairy Queen, freeze, Dairy Queen, more wind, heat, more wind, cattle guards on main roads, dips in roads, Ford duallys, did I mention Dairy Queens and we loved it all :approve:

DL Rupper

RE: Alternative Fuel

Heck a Dairy Queen would be nice. All I can find in Oregon is Coffee whistle/caboose stops. Don't get me wrong, I dearly love coffee, but every corner. They put strange syrups and sugars in their coffee. They don't even call them cups of coffee.

The big jolt to my system is the lack of Wal-Mart Supercenters. I'm not sure I'll survive the summer. I can see why they all hug trees. They are just trying to get a grip on life. No Wal-Mart Supercenters? :eek: ;)

Shadow

RE: Alternative Fuel

Hey Chelse, any fermenting of the grain here will not be used for gas. :bleh:
Hiccup ;)