Aluminum Frame TT

Edwin Smith

Do aluminum frame travel trailers hold up over the long term? I have a truck camper that we will be trading in for a new TT and I'm thinking an aluminum frame might ease my mind when it comes to leaks and rot. I'm sorta concerned about driving bumpy roads and the shock wave effect on an aluminum frame. That a problem? Or just paranoid.
Edwin

Gary B

Aluminum Frame TT

Hi Ed, alum frame trailers are fine no better than well built wood framed trailers, remember even with an alum frame you still have wood flooring, inner walls etc and a leak is just as bad as with a wood framed trailer. The best alum framed units will have screwed or riveted & bonded joints veruses welded joints which will with time and flexing work harden and crack next to the weld. Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search. :) :laugh: :cool:

Gary B

Aluminum Frame TT

Hi klolsen, a bonded joint is glued, using a structural adheseve, (no heat) welding creats a heat affected area on each side of the weld changing the heat treatment of the metal / in other words it hardens and becomes brittle and cracks. Thats why aircraft structures / joints are not welded, but rather riveted or screwed / bolted and or glued. :) :cool: :bleh: :approve: