aluminum wall framing

austint

My wife and I are looking at the HitchHiker Discover America series in a triple slide to replace our current 5th wheel. But I had someone tell me that the aluminum wall framing would not hold up as well as the wood wall framing on either the HitchHiker II or HitchHiker Premier series. Any experience or recommendations would be appreciated. Our current fiver is a 1998 Mobile Scout 27RKFS all aluminum superstructure which has had absolutely no structural problems.

C Nash

aluminum wall framing

Does hitchHiker offer both and if so was it the salperson that told you this? :eek: If so, bet he had a wood frame on the lot :laugh: . Some people will say the aluminum will crack where the wood will give but the wood will also rot where alum wont. Alum tends to sweat more and wood has better insulation value. :)

austint

aluminum wall framing

Yes Chelse, HitchHiker does offer both, one on a slightly higher end model(s) and on a less expensive model the HH II. The info that I got was from the owner of a HitchHiker II model. The two dealerships I talked with had good comments about both. A height restriction of 12' 4" to clear my storage cover is also a consideration in my decision. :)

C Nash

aluminum wall framing

Austin, I would think they use aluminum for lighter weight. A lot of the upper level units used wood and they were very heavy. Some say condensation, which can be a problem with fulltiming, is less with the wood frames. Ventalation is the key for keeping the sweating to a minium. There are good arguments for both but, I like the aluminum caged frames. Have owned several older wood frames and had problems with rot.

austint

aluminum wall framing

Chelse, thanks for the input. Talked with the HH factory yesterday and they told me the models have changed somewhat for the 2004 model year. I think I will wait on the new info and take a look at them at the RV show in Dallas in September. :cool: