Ammonia smell in refer!

dforce1

Re: Ammonia smell in refer!

Have you searched the web for a replacement cooling unit. Just do a google search for RV Cooling unit...Most of the replacement cooling units are easy do it yourself job. They will have a 3 to 5 year warranty. A lot cheaper than purchasing a New complete refrig for $1000's of dollars.

Grandview Trailer Sa

I would hardly call that an easy job for someone with no experience. Not saying it can't be done, but not what I call easy. Also, a replacement cooling unit from Norcold would have a ONE year warranty. Maybe some other suppliers/makers offer more, but I deal with Dometic and Norcold.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Teri,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you, been out sick.

A 621 and 641 are the same refer. One number is OEM and the other is after market. In other words if you have a 621, the replacement is a 641.

SmokinT

Gosh, Ken! I'm sorry you have been ill. Hope you're feeling better soon.
At least I'm not going nuts confusing the two (621 and 641) as they looked the same to me. I think I get it now as far as the OEM an after market. Sometimes I'm really dumb! :eek:

P.S. Did you get my pm? Thanks again!

SmokinT

dforce.. I did look for replacement cooling units and found that although I may be able to do it (it's just that I haven't tried that yet) and not like I have extra money these days, I figured I'd go with a new one with a warranty and all that. I've found new Norcold's from $900's to $1500's for the same fridge. Plus, now that I know I need a new fridge, I can actually plan for it rather than have a big surprise! :eek: which is what normally happens.

I thank you for your help!

Grandview Trailer Sa

SmokinT, I installed an N641 this week for 1,195.00. Now I know why I dont have any money.....

That Lowes refer will plug into the same outlet, but don't forget to plug that LP line!!

SmokinT

Kenneth! Well, you did say that you preferred the Norcold to the Dometic! ;) I guess if I had a "nicer, newer" RV I wouldn't hesitate about getting a "proper" fridge, but it's just me and my half-blind dog who couldn't care less. Thanks for the tip about plugging the LP hole! How about I plug it with a big glop of silicone? :question:

I've been working on cleaning up all the old caulking on the roof and putting new stuff on. What a chore, but we've been having some good rain here today and when I checked, everywhere I had replaced the old stuff worked! No leaks! Of course I'm also in the process of replacing the wood in the overhead bunk from previous problems! Oh well, the more I do for myself, the more I learn and the less it costs. More moolah for fun stuff like actually camping! whoo hoo!

TexasClodhopper

Teri, please don't take any chances with that LP line. Silicone wouldn't be a 'sure' way to keep it sealed off.

They make things that will cap that line (ask at the hardware section/store), but you could also crimp and solder the end closed.

Be sure and check whatever you do for leaks. That stuff will sneak up on you (or the next guy.) :clown:

SmokinT

You're right, of course. I wouldn't mess with any gas line and silicone would not be a good choice.

Kirk

Gas lines which were removed and not capped properly are the #1 cause of propane fires and problems, according to the insurance institute. Silicone rubber just won't do the job.