And you thought your RV was ugly.....

cougarkid

Just a catchy title.

We are in the process of repairing/replacing the wood on our 32' Calss A MH. Doing it ourselves, in a borrowed garage. Should be completed for under $1600.00,

Took the rubber roof off and pealed the fiberglass siding off. Taking the rotten, water damaged, luan off the sides and rebuilding the flat roof.

Going to re-glue the siding over new plywood and put EPDM roofing over new roof beams and plywood (adding a bit of a bow to the roof to make it drain.

Here is a picture of the RV in OMG state, after the siding and bad wood was removed.

Well, technical issues with pic. Will post later.

G

Re: And you thought your RV was ugly.....

Scooter ,, where u been ,, ?? nash has been diggin all thru his MH hoping u didn't go with him in one of the compartments agian ,, he said he didn't smell anything funny ,, but it did give him the chance to rearrange his compartments :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Btw ,, u are invited to the M&G if u can make it ,, i am sure nash could stash u once agian in the compartment :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ;)
But really i would luv it if u could make it ,, :approve: :approve: :approve:

C Nash

Hmmm maybe that was the extra weight that blew my rear tire :laugh:

C Nash

Mike, looks like you will be busy for awhile. Good luck

*scooter*

Well, I have put on an extra pound but I can't take the credit for the blowout !!! :approve: I (we) would love to go to the M&G. This is the part I hate....but won't be able to this time. :( :( :( :( . I haven't been here a much as I wanted to recently, I was helping my daughter move into a Condo that I bought and needed a whole lot of attention :blackeye: :blackeye: :) . But it's done now.. I see you all still have one foot on the porch to the crazy house. :eek: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

keithb

Man, that looks like one BIG project. Please take progress photos so we can admire your craftmanship. :)

C Nash

Roger, I had one foot in the crazy house but slipped and fell all the way in. :laugh:

cougarkid

Well, spent Monday through Sunday, 12-14 hours a day working on it.
DEstruction ended Wednesday night.

Bought $1200.00 worth of supplies on Thursday, after assessing needs. 7/16 OSB, 1/4" luan, 1/2" plywood, 1/4" wafer board, Liquid Nails (2 cases), 3" long screws, 1 5/8" long screws, 2x4's, 2x6's, 1" foam, celulose insulation, butyle, saw blades and gloves. Got 5 gallons of roll-on roofing by Inland Coatings.

Most of the bad supporting plywood and 2x's are replaced - using all treated wood.

Last night (Sunday) @ 11:00 pm, we finally got the 7/16 OSB on the roof. Nice, 1" crown in the middle as planned. Joints glued and screwed tight - ready for roofing.

Tonight (had to go back to work) we start to skin the sides. 1/4" waferboard and then the original siding.

Will try to post some more pics soon - just been too busy and tired at night.

Mike

rjf7g

Mike, you are a brave soul! I hope you're quite the craftsman as well!

cougarkid

8-23-10:

Added some more photos to the album. Progress!

Had to go back to work this week, so evening RV work from now on.

http://s674.photobucket.com/albums/vv101/70Cougarkid/RV Roof and Side Repair/

Roof is re-sheated with a 1" center rise and 7/16" OSB. A/C and Bath openings cut. Transition on roof front to the sloped flat section - came out really well. Edges are now trimmed flush.

All the bad wood/foam we removed is now replaced on both sides of the RV. I added a bit more plywood under the front side windows then the factory had. Didn't get the sides re-skinned in waferboard yet, the cut-and-fit replacement takes FOREVER.

Tonight is off for League Bowling - Wednesday night we hopefully can get at leat one side re-skinned.

Mike

akjimny

You are a better man than I am. Oh, to be young and full of energy again. Looks like you are doing a really professional job. Good luck and hope everything works out okay :laugh: :laugh: :) :)

cougarkid

I wouldn't say "young". 51 years old.

Just couldn't see spending the money on another RV right now.

Plus I like a challenge! :approve:

akjimny

I know young is more a state of mind than a calendar count, but hitting 60 was like hitting a wall :eek: :eek: :eek: SPLAT ! ! ! :( :(

H2H1

man when you take on a project you do the big one. I wished I was there to help and learn. I looks like a great project and also looks like you are doing a better job than when it was built. Good luck

G

I agree with Hollis ,, that kinda stuff is what i really want to get into ,, i have done the insides ,, gutted to the frame and such ,, but never done what u are doing ,, GOOD WORK ,, and keep us posted ,, btw i am saving u'r pics for future references ,, heck of a job ,, if i could do that to mine i would ,, but i can't ,, my outside walls are one piece front to rear molded fibergalss ,, it is a patent that rexhall uses ,, kinda like a boat hull ,, that is why i have to have mine re-gel coated to get the shine back on it ,, but again i love what u are doing :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :bleh: :bleh: :bleh:

cougarkid

Actually, I was inspired by another RVer's site.

http://www.outerland.com/RV/index.cfm

Our Projects - old RV - EDPM roof replacement

He replaced his rupper roof with EPDM. I used his info and what I could get out of Georgie Boy to figure my construction, materials and estimated cost.

As I tore it apart and saw what was really there, I adjusted my materials and construction. I figured high on the initial cost and even with the adjustments it looks to be coming in under budget. Add materials here, take materials out there.

I think adding the 1" rise in the center of the roof and using 7/16" treated OSB was my best idea. I won't have a water ponding problem again, ever! It will be interesting to see how the paint-on roof comes out.

Ryan41

least your checking sites and advice on sucessful attemps and know if you get stuck on something there is advice.
carry on the great pics as we need to see each step of the progression