Another New Problem-A/C

ARCHER

Hello all. Got a different problem now (got the potty fixed). My A/C is freezing my ..... off. Seems like even if I turn the thermostat down, it continues to cool. Temp got down to the 50's last night an dit froze up. I think it is the thermostat but not sure. Unit is a Coleman and it is about 7-9 years old. Any ideas, team? :( ;) :)

miket

RE: Another New Problem-A/C

Turning t'stat down means more cooling, do you mean you turned it up, which should shut off at the set temp.--

Turn down AC for more cooling, turn up for more warmth ----

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: Another New Problem-A/C

Archer, what kind of thermostat do you have?

7-9 years old, I did not think they had thermostats that turned off the AC and turned the Furnace on automatically.

ARCHER

It is the one that has a dial and the higher you turn it the cooler it will get (it has three blue dots that are the highest settings for cooling. It does not shut off the A/C, it just turns off the compressor when the temp is around where the dial is set (not digital or anything like that). It is a Coleman roof top A/C unit, I can set it on low fan, high fan, low cool, high cool and heat (if it had the heating coils, but it does not , was an option). I just think the thermostat switch is bad maybe and won't shut off the compressor. I've sent a note to Coleman regarding getting help on finding a new switch/thermostat switch. Any other help is welcome...
Chelse, winter up where you are, but in the low 80s down here so need A/C to breath better.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Yep, you have a bad thermostat or perhaps a stuck relay. You have done the best thing and contacted Coleman. They will get you back in business.

ARCHER

Must have a ghost in my MH. The A/C unit seems to be working fine again. Guess the switch came unstuck. It is kicking the compressor on and off like it is suppose too. Probably just a matter of time before the whole thing will stop working. Oh well, at least I'm cool for now. ;)

TexasClodhopper

Archer, I'm not saying this happened to you, but I've had two problems with my thermostat. Once, I got our 2 week old MH ready for our first trip. Plugged into my garage outlet to get ready for leaving in the morning. When I went out in the morning, it was almost 50 deg in there! The thermostat was set at 1 deg! Well, I got that all replaced.

Another time, I discovered the battery disconnect switch. What I didn't understand was that it cut power to the thermostat, also! So, when I turned it back on, the thermostat reset itself to 72 deg. I couldn't figure out who had changed the temperature setting!

Of course, being the male of the species, and since there are only two of us, I sort of blamed/confronted Sallyberetta with the news. ... After I slept a night in the basement ... I got it all straightened out.

Are you running the T-stat fan setting on High or Low. Low Fan setting will also cause a coil to freeze over. Not enough air going across. This is a common AC problem down here in Texas

ARCHER

Well, Pat it was not frozen up. It was sooooooo cold that the temp inside MH was down in the 50s, even with the thermostat knob turned way up (not even close to the blue dots for max cooling. When a unit freezes up, it will not blow cold air. Anyway, the ghost has been here again, and the darn thing seems to be working ok at this point. Must have been a stuck something.
In case I need to purchase a new unit, can you find them (RV roof type units) on EBAY? I know you can get them at Camping World and most RV stores. Shipping is costly, I do know that.

ARCHER

Hi Chelse, Hope you have a wonderful Christmas. I was thinking about (when I do need to buy one) getting a Coleman w/heat, 13,500 BTU. I know Camping World sells them for around $600.00+.
This unit seems to be cooling right now, but I think it is running on borrowed time. I'll keep it until it don't work no more and then find a new one.

C Nash

I sure wouldn't buy one until I needed it Archer. Course you know it will go out when you need it most. I can check and see how much my friend in the rv business will sell me one if you want me to. Merry Christmas to you and Linda.

ARCHER

Well, since it was the holidays and all, I decided to look around down here in Florida and see if I could find a thermostat for the ole A/C unit. Found a used one and also a used on/off switch (for fan). Installed them both and everything seems to be working better now. A/C is kicking on and off like it is suppose to do. Paid less than ten dollars for the thermostat and switch. If it will help keep me cold but not frozen and back home in the spring, I may replace the entire unit. On the other hand, if it still cools, why bother. I'd still like a price check from those that offered. Have a safe New Year's Eve and talk to ya next year...... :) ;) :bleh: :cool: :laugh: :approve: :blush: :clown: :kiss: :shy:

ARCHER

It is still running, however, I think it is only a matter of time before it goes out. Wires smelled a little funny after leaving it on all day to day. Will probably have to replace it (hopefullY) after we get home in the spriing.
Grandview and Chelse, quotes please. 13,500 BTU with Heat Strips. Shipping also??