Another Tow Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBURTO

Hi,
I have a 30 ft Sandpiper TT and am looking to buy a F250. Should I get the long wheel base (158) or will the short wheel base (142) be efficient? I am going to get the Hensley Arrow. Also, I am planning on going with the diesel engine. Thanks for any help.

Sean Woodruff

RE: Another Tow Question

SDBURTO - 12/25/2008 3:54 PM

Hi,
I have a 30 ft Sandpiper TT and am looking to buy a F250. Should I get the long wheel base (158) or will the short wheel base (142) be efficient? I am going to get the Hensley Arrow. Also, I am planning on going with the diesel engine. Thanks for any help.

A 142" wheel base will work fine with a Pivot Point Projection hitch. By diminishing the distance between the effective pivot point of the trailer and the rear axle of the tow vehicle you do not need as much wheel base for stability. The ProPride, or the orange hitch, will do that for you.

C Nash

Re: Another Tow Question

I stll like the long wheelbase for towing but JMO. Where have you been Sean? Still kind of bugs me when you push your own hitch or maybe I'm seeing something wrong and that's JMO. Now if you were a sponser here I would look at it different or maybe you are now as I haven't look to see:(

Grandview Trailer Sa

Well, Sean is back...still selling...on a free site....

From experience, the LONGER the tow vehicle the BETTER!!! Now a 30' with a 3/4 ton is a good combination and it can be done with a hitch that costs a lot less than Hensley. Not saying anything is wrong with that hitch, just saying it is not necessary. Look at the new Reese hitch that combines load leveling and sway control. Retail is a little over $600.00 and will do the job.

NOW, If the diesel you are talking about is the 6.0, run like hell. Look at anything else.

Sean Woodruff

You guys have me rolling on the floor laughing. Every single time someone attempts to answer a question you are so afraid of "selling" that you jump all over it. The last time you did it I received PMs asking me to continue when I could answer a question.

Grandview Trailer Sales - If you really do feel that my post is selling, I wonder how you make it. I didn't sell one thing in that post. And, your experience is limited if you believe a LONGER wheel base is better so you really shouldn't be SELLING that idea.

C Nash - I wouldn't sponsor a site that is so AFRAID that someone is going to SELL something. It's a joke. Makes the site a bit useless if you ask me. A person asks a question and gets an answer backed by years of experience and knowledge and you think someone is pushing something. Or, you can just continue to answer it with LIMITED experience from someone who has never been on a test track to test ANY style of hitch. Let me tell you, if I was PUSHING, it would be a lot harder.

SDBURTO - A longer wheel base is NOT the best option for you if you are going to tow with a pivot point projection hitch. Buy what you want to drive when you aren't towing and what makes you happy. Don't listen to the limited viewpoint of others.

Sean Woodruff

Here's a private message I received from a member here...

Hi Sean,

This forum has a few "regulars" that do not think twice about attacking other people. I want to get all the information I can from you and others that actually know what they are talking about. Please do not stop posting because of a couple of idiots.

These are the people I answer questions for.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Been in business 23 years, this month. I have towed literally thousands of various trailers in those years. I do KNOW that longer tow vehicles are better tow vehicles. You, Sean, won't admit it because you are peddling a hitch that supposedly helps a shorter vehicle tow better.

If someone want to pay your $2,395.00 or $2,445.00 instead of less than $700.00 for a Reese product, that will do the same thing, they certainly can do just that. By the way, you don't have that hitch on your site, I am not talking about the Strait Line. This guy with a 3/4 ton truck, certainly does not need to either.

You are trying to "sell" here, because you peddle a product that you sell, in each and every post you make. I have my opinion, and you have yours. We will have to agree to disagree.

Sean Woodruff

I do sell the Reese Strait-Line and IT IS on my site so I'm not sure what you are talking about. In fact, I offer 100% of the purchase price of the hitch toward the 3P if the customer isn't happy with the performance. Do you offer to take the hitch back if the trailer sways? You are arguing about this from your limited perspective of only using a Reese with a LONG wheel base. While a long wheel base is better with a Reese, that isn't what the OP asked about. Read the question. The OP asked about the wheel base WITH a Hensley Arrow. The long wheel base IS NOT required.

ON EDIT: your "that will do the same thing" comment is very misleading and borderline malpractice. IT ISN'T even close to doing the same thing unless you are talking about ONLY THE PHYSICAL CONNECTION of the tow vehicle to the trailer.

Grandview Trailer Sa

I won't argue with you here after this. Read MY post. I said I was NOT talking about the Strait Line. YOU apparently don't know about their new hitch.

Sean Woodruff

I won't sell their Equalizer knock off. I have been asked and declined. I would sell the Equalizer if I were to sell that design. The friction forces that can be applied can EASILY be overtaken by the sway forces of a 30' travel trailer.

G

ok if u'r not selling ,, then why is u'r web sight in u'r signature ,, i do rv repairs ,, more than most ,, remodels and custom installs ,, but u don't see my web sight in my sig ,, i enjoy life ,, and comment on here for free ,,, U would not want to do a remodel in a old Grayhound bus ,, and yes due to the economy ,, there are those that are fixing up what they have or can buy cheap ,, but if i do put my websight in my sig ,, I'LL DARN WELL PAY this sight for it ,, JMO
Btw I have been dealing with GTS for a few yr's ,, and if he's wrong ,, it's news to me ,, agian JMO :eek:

Sean Woodruff

Well, now I've heard it all. A URL in a signature is selling, huh? Is it any wonder that the RV industry is in the shape it's in with what people "in" the business think is selling?

Sean Woodruff

And, Mr. Repair Man, I never said GTS was wrong. I said he has a limited perspective and is making a recommendation based on his limited perspective. When all you have is a hammer, and you've been using it for 23 years this month, everything looks like a nail.

LEN

And when your a nubie with an unproven product(only in your own mind being proven). What is your perspective other than jacking funds into you own pocket.
I'll take 23 years in the buss. helping people and having return customers.

LEN

Sean Woodruff

Hardly a newbie, Len. I've sold over 10,000 hitches in my career and tested every hitch on the market. I'm open to a public debate about the pros and cons of every hitch available in the world. However, I will not debate with anyone who doesn't understand the engineering and physics of a pivot point projection hitch so discounts it as being the same thing as a conventional hitch. It's a pointless debate when all the factors aren't understood.

G

well all i have to say is ,, if u have a web sight in u'r sig ,, then why not pay for advertising on here ,,, GTS does ,, and btw how sure are u of the nail ,, it might be rusty ,, and not good at all ,, all we ask here is pay for u'r ads ,, nothing more nothing less ,,, but who am i ,, MR repair man ,,, i won't coment on that ,, it's u'r OP ,, but i will say this ,, when u can fix an rv ,, then i will ,, over look u'r post ,, btw GTS also repairs all he sells ,, and even some he doesn't JMO

Sean Woodruff

I don't comment on repairing RVs. I leave that up to people who do repair RVs for a living. I'm not sure how repairing an RV has anything to do with hitch engineering or towing. I comment on hitch design and towing. That is what I am an expert in. Where in the world did you see me commenting on your area of expertise? I don't pretend to be an expert on repairing RVs like many people pretend that they know about how various hitch designs are all the same. That is the problem with the entire industry. We have a bunch of people that pretend they know what they are talking about because they have been "in the business." The easy days are over. People want to deal with people who understand what they are talking about. In today's world it takes a COMPLETE understanding of the situation. And, if I sit by and read what I KNOW to be false being spouted it is my moral obligation to say so.

By the way, I wonder why people say "Jack of all trades, Master of NONE?"

utmtman

Sean Woodruff - 12/26/2008 10:27 PM

Hardly a newbie, Len. I've sold over 10,000 hitches in my career and tested every hitch on the market. I'm open to a public debate about the pros and cons of every hitch available in the world. However, I will not debate with anyone who doesn't understand the engineering and physics of a pivot point projection hitch so discounts it as being the same thing as a conventional hitch. It's a pointless debate when all the factors aren't understood.

You claim to have tested every hitch on the market meaning you have been a full time rver traveling across the country up mountain and down valley with each and every one of them. That I find hard to believe. Its people like this that mislead the public every day and the biggest reason a lot of companies fail. They claim they have tried them all. With comments like this I tend to tell others to avoid what these people are selling like the plague. Now your product will go on my list and if and when anyone asks about hitchs, your brand will be the one I will warn all others to avoid. Sorry but I do that about any product where they make the comments like you have made.

H2H1

Hey guys just ignore Sean and maybe he will go away. It just seems he has been on some other RV forum who like to argue and debate. By the way Sean, I will still take a rusty nail that is proven rather than a shinny one who has no proven history other than his on horn going off. Oh BTW Sean, why not provide the person who sent you the PM. I bet I can guess who it was. SB

Sean Woodruff

utmtman - 12/27/2008 10:26 AM

You claim to have tested every hitch on the market meaning you have been a full time rver traveling across the country up mountain and down valley with each and every one of them. That I find hard to believe. Its people like this that mislead the public every day and the biggest reason a lot of companies fail. They claim they have tried them all. With comments like this I tend to tell others to avoid what these people are selling like the plague. Now your product will go on my list and if and when anyone asks about hitchs, your brand will be the one I will warn all others to avoid. Sorry but I do that about any product where they make the comments like you have made.

No, engineered tests are not performed on public highways. They are performed on a test track under controlled conditions so that the variables can be consistent during the tests and across all equipment.

Who will be the one misleading the public talking about something for which you are so ignorant? I do not mislead the public and never have in all my years in business. By the way, why don't you use your real name when you assassinate the character of a person. See my username? That is my name. Who are you? Let's see your real name to back up your words. You see, when people use their real name they really don't have the balls to make misleading statements and attack the character of other people with slanderous statements like yours above. Send me your name so that when the next trailer sway accident lawyer calls me to be a witness in a case I can give it to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.