I would appreicate any tips you might have to help us remove mold or mildew. What are some possible solutions that I can create to help get the surface mildew and to cut back on the molds would be greatly appreciated.
This was in the rv tips at the left of the screen. You might find it helpful.
Three Easy Steps to Control RV Mold and Mildew
Mold and mildew are common and persistent problems for homeowners throughout the country, but RV enthusiasts are faced with specific mold and mildew issues of their own that must be addressed.
Peter Chicarielli, president of InstaGone Consumer Products is an RV enthusiast who knows the unique mold and mildew challenges that RV owners face. â€œA major cause of mold and mildew is long term storage. Keeping a trailer or camper locked down or under a tarp, can create a very efficient mold and mildew incubator.â€
Even an RV that is used year round and never put into storage is not immune from mold and mildew. Chicarielli explains that this is because full-time RVers tend to follow the sun to warmer climates. â€œThe pursuit of the endless summer also encourages endless mold and mildew growth â€“ especially for those touring Florida and Texas.â€
Whatever the cause, Chicarielli recommends a simple, three-step mold control plan for RV owners:
1) Inspect â€“ Look for early signs of mold and mildew in places such as shower areas, underneath sinks and stoves, gel coat exteriors, storage compartments, caulking and molding (around windows, doors and sunroofs) ceilings, ceiling vents, vinyl awnings, water and sewerage hook-ups, and refrigerators, dishwashers and washing machines that have not been used for extended periods.
2) Repair â€“ Fix plumbing leaks, drain clogs, roof leaks, damaged caulking or molding and poor bathroom ventilation that can encourage mold and mildew growth.
3) Remove â€“ Treat emerging mold thoroughly with a powerful cleaning product such as InstaGone Multi-Purpose Stain Remover.
If you suffer from allergies, Chicarielli recommends the use of rubber gloves, non-vented goggles and a chemical respirator to limit your exposure, especially when cleaning interior RV
areas affected by mold. â€œAny health risks normally associated with mold exposure in a traditional home may be intensified due to the close quarters of an RV. If you have been
experiencing symptoms such as headaches or difficulty breathing, it may be best to avoid the health risk and call your RV Dealer or in extreme cases, a certified mold remediation specialist.â€
Chicarielli says there was a 30% increase in InstaGone sales in 2003 compared to the previous year, with 10-15% of those sales from the RV industry. â€œOur RV customers started ordering earlier in the season, are reordering more often and purchasing greater quantities than in previous years because of the past yearâ€™s Petri dish perfect mold growth conditions.â€
About InstaGone Multi-Purpose Stain Remover
InstaGone Industrial Multi-Purpose Strain Remover is a laboratory tested, consumer proven solution for preventing mold and mildew formation and eliminating early stage mold growth on RV surfaces such as ceilings, vinyl awnings shower stalls, vinyl tarps, caulking, molding, storage bins, gel coat exteriors, water/sewer hook ups, PVC furniture and more. Home uses include acoustical ceiling tiles, concrete, brick, tile, sheet rock, popcorn ceilings and more. InstaGone is superior to using household chlorine bleach for mold and mildew removal for several reasons:
1) InstaGoneâ€™s formula is far less corrosive than chlorine bleach.
2) InstaGone comes in pre-measured, concentrated packets that are far less bulky than gallon jugs of bleach.
3) InstaGoneâ€™s pre-measured packets are mixed with water at the time of use, resulting in a fresher, more potent cleaning solution.
4) In many cases, InstaGone can prohibit additional mold growth for several months.
About InstaGone Consumer Products:
InstaGone Consumer Products is the manufacturer of professional strength cleaning solutions including InstaGone Multi-Purpose Stain Remover, Quick-10 Carpet, Upholstery and Laundry Stain Remover and the InstaGone RV Laundry Kit. The company is a pioneer in the production of pre-measured, concentrated cleaning solutions that are mixed with water prior to use. This product packaging concept reduces cost, saves storage space and minimizes plastic waste. All InstaGone Consumer Products are made in the U.S.A. For more information, call
1-888-425-0125 or visit www.instagoneproducts.com.
After the mold is removed, I recommend the use of HEPA air filters/fans. I have had 3 sinus operations due to allergies and have not had any bad allergy problems since running 2 small HEPA filters in my RV 24/7. I use 1 in the bedroom and 1 in the frontroom/kitchen. It is a little noisy, but really cuts down on the mold, bacteria, fungus and viruses. You can purchase the filters at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Lowes for $40 to $70.:bleh: