Anyone else seen this RV dealer 'policy'?

hertig

When I bought my used motorhome, it had a Prodigy brake controller in it. When I picked it up, it did not.

The sales department said it was their policy that they would not sell a unit with a used brake controller for 'liability reasons'. When asked why they didn't remove it before showing it, they said they couldn't afford to do that until the delivery prep.

On the other hand...

The service department consulted their computer and said that the previous owner had called and asked it be removed and sent to him, so they did. This was 'normal procedure' and 'happens all the time'.

Anyone else run into this sort of thing?

Fortunately, my policy is if you steal from me, you will regret it, and after working my way up to the head guy, got an agreement for them to pay me the full cost for it.

DL Rupper

Sounds like a "bait and switch" policy to me :evil: :dead: I believe it should fall under the same category as a verbal contract (if they say it, it's a contract). If they show it to you, they should be contractually bound to deliver it. However, not being a lawyer who knows. Maybe "Grandview Trailer Sales" could tell you.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Thanks for the set up DL. We do not sell motorhomes, but in the trailers we sell, I try to tell a shopper if something does not go with the unit. I also list options that DO go with the unit. If someone brings me a trailer to sell for them on consignment, I make it clear for them to take out what they want to keep. Once a shopper has seen something, I will not take it out without talking to them first and having everything clear.

C Nash

Way to go John. I would have done the same. Boy, those salespeople (not all of them) can come up with some dooseyes. I remember way back when we ran the miles back on used cars and I forgot to remove one of the oil change stickers from the door post. I was just doing what the boss ordered. Common practice in the 50s and 60s. A customer caught this and the salesman never missed a puff on his cigeratte and told him it had been in a wreck and the door was from another car :eek: .

C Nash

John, Just sunk in YOU GOT A DPUSHER :eek: :laugh: . Now DL can follow you and smell all the diesel smoke :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :bleh:

DL Rupper

Hey John, congrats on the diesel pusher :laugh: . I'm sure you will enjoy having the diesel.

hertig

Thanks, hope to get it soon. They say Country Coach parts take 2 to 4 weeks to come in, and I won't take it off the lot (or let loose of the Terry) until it works. Although once the toilet is fixed, I may relent, cause the other things are just nuicenses and as long as I have a contractural obligation that they will be fixed...

About that diesel smell, may smell like french fries. They have Biodiesel here in town, and its cheaper than real diesel. Darn AZ anyway, they tax my diesel .08 a gallon more than smaller motorhomes.