Arming one's self?

Al Wells

Arming one's self?

The Canadian government in its infinite wisdom started a gun registry that has cost literally billions of dollars in tax payer money. What a crock! How many bad guys will go to register their weapon with the government?

If you register, expect a visit from a cop who will check to see if you have the guns placed in a safe, with trigger locks attached. (Might take awhile to ready your weapon if a perp is breaking through the door).

To own a pistol, you have to sell your first born and only be allowed to travel to the shooting range with it, while it is tucked away in a locked box.

Toronto has seen a rash of gun-related crimes occuring. While many are drug-related, innocent bystanders are getting injured and killed in the crossfire! If I could carry a weapon, I would, but I cannot...so I'll just bring my wife in the RV...she can yell louder than I can!

Al

Al Wells

Arming one's self?

Texas Clodhopper, have you been sucking the fumes from the exhaust of your Ford gas guzzler! You are one PARANOID Texan!

My post indicates NOTHING about how violent the U.S. is, nor did I intend to comment as such! I am neither anti-American nor anti-guns! My family is from America and fought and died against the Brits in the war of 1812! I am very proud of my American heritage, as I am my Canadian one, so lets cut the U.S. vs the rest of the world crap!

I have bagged many a deer in the back woods of British Columbia with my trusty little American-made Winchester Model 94 and almost took my shoulder off with a 360 Weatherby Magnum. I've done trap shooting with a bud's Perazzi MX8 over and under, (could never afford one myself), and fired many a round out of a Glock 9mm and a few Smith and Wesson pistols.

I am of Christian upbringing, but I would not think twice about ending the life of ANYONE, foolish enough to go after my family!

I love travelling America's diverse and beautiful country! Most American's...especially RVer's are the greatest,(Wish I could say the same for a share of Canuck's I met, who could have used an attitude adjustment). So Clodhopper..see if you can cut a little slack to us who are not of your country! We are NOT all out to get you!

Al

turnipbwc

Arming one's self?

Boy I bet "onthecoach" wishes she never started this post back on Feb 3rd. She sure woke up a sleeping giant on this one. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.............
turnip

Krazeehorse

Arming one's self?

Tassie, if you're afraid of the people with guns you really wanna watch out for Americans with cars. They kill a lot more people than the gun people.

C Nash

Arming one's self?

And if they are on their cell phone while driving you really better watch out :laugh:

RedRocker

Arming one's self?

Turnip 42, I am not desputing the fact that Americans have the right to arm themselves, it just frightens me. As you may remember 10 years ago we had a young man here in Tasmania who gunned down and killed 35 men , women and children and wounded 18 all in a matter of hours.Australia definitely has it's share of violence too , I know nothing could compare with 9/11 but guns in anyones hands scare me and always will. I can't help the way I feel. Tassiedevil

Tassie, we had a similar incident in Texas some years ago, a nut drove his car through the wall of a restaurant and began shooting people. One of the women there eating with her parents had a gun in the car, illegal to carry back then. She watched her parents get murdered and was helpless to stop it. She became a state senator and helped pass a carry law, Susan Gratia Hupp. My take is if some of the people in Tasmania or Kileen Texas had been armed, the situation would have been much different. There are bad people on this earth and we all had better be prepared to stand up to them or perish.

RedRocker

Arming one's self?

Turnip 42, I am not desputing the fact that Americans have the right to arm themselves, it just frightens me. As you may remember 10 years ago we had a young man here in Tasmania who gunned down and killed 35 men , women and children and wounded 18 all in a matter of hours.Australia definitely has it's share of violence too , I know nothing could compare with 9/11 but guns in anyones hands scare me and always will. I can't help the way I feel. Tassiedevil

Tassie, we had a similar incident in Texas some years ago, a nut drove his car through the wall of a restaurant and began shooting people. One of the women there eating with her parents had a gun in the car, illegal to carry back then. She watched her parents get murdered and was helpless to stop it. She became a state senator and helped pass a carry law, Susan Gratia Hupp. My take is if some of the people in Tasmania or Kileen Texas had been armed, the situation would have been much different. There are bad people on this earth and we all had better be prepared to stand up to them or perish.

portablevcb

Arming one's self?

Tassie,

A great many folks in this country go through their entire life without an encounter with any sort of criminal. So, you can at least know that the chances of being a victim are very small, just as it is in your country. But, the chances are not ZERO!

So, many of us also believe that it is best to be prepared. I've never used a fire extinguisher. I've never had to "use" a seat belt. The airbags in my car have never gone off. So, does that mean I should not have them? I feel the same about guns. I know they scare some folks, so, I never tell anyone I have them. Having lived most of my life in the southwest, the ability of an officer to respond to a call can be hours. Don't depend on the police for protection.

For onthecoach, getting a firearm of any type, or even having a knife, for self defense is a major commitment. If you're not going to follow through with the training and preparing yourself, don't do it!

charlie

bandaddie

Arming one's self?

I have been in professions which required the use of firearms in anti-personel applications. I have used them in combat with intended results. I have been wounded 3 times. Here are my thoughts;

Carry only if; (I have been there and have asked myself each question)

1. you are prepaired, fully trained and willing to use deadly force.

2. you are trained in their use to an expert level.

3. you are psychologically prepaired to fully accept the consequences of their ultimate use. you, your family and community and your target will all be extreemly effected by such use.

4. you are fully prepaired to have the fresh blood of another human being splashed over your body and the bodies of your loved ones.

5. you are fully prepaired to accept the finacial consequences of their ultimate use.

6. you are fully prepaired to place yourself at the mercy and disposal of the scrutiny of at least a dozen different law enforcement agencies.

7. you fully understand that "I'd rather be tried by 12 than be carried by six" is not something stated by people who have used deadly force. "Tried" can often mean tried forever.

8. once you pull that trigger, you can not recall that projectile.

9. your actions are forever.

10. you understand that any weapon you use can be used against you.

If you are comfortable with these questions, do as you will. If you have even the slightest doubt, stay in well lit places and be ever watchful. There is no shame in retreating to survive. afterall, we are not soldiers in our rv's. We are just tourists on a temporary vacation of 3 score and ten years, but our actions are eternal.

do i carry? that's none of your business!

loonz9

Arming one's self?

What about using pepper spray? I always carry it on my walks in case I encounter an unfriendly dog, but of course it could also be used if I encounter an "unfriendly" person.

hertig

Arming one's self?

Pepper spray is better than nothing. Just be aware that there are some places which regulate its possession and/or use. And that you have to be aware of wind direction. And that not everyone will be incapacitated by it.

Krazeehorse

Arming one's self?

Bandaddie, of course you do. You're correct, it's none of my business and lastly it doesn't really matter to me.

CADLAC

Arming one's self?

quote:Originally posted by onthecoach

Hello All--

I am sure this is a very touchy subject, but the 'Other Half' and I are having quite a debate on this one.

He says, that even though he is against guns, since we are travelling and on the road all the time, we should be armed....we need to get one. I am afraid of what might happen if we go this route.

I am opposed to this idea, and since I have been Rving for over 10 years, I feel strongly that we can be safe as long as we are smart and careful.

Your thoughts??? :question:

CADLAC

Arming one's self?

Hello All--

I am sure this is a very touchy subject, but the 'Other Half' and I are having quite a debate on this one.

He says, that even though he is against guns, since we are travelling and on the road all the time, we should be armed....we need to get one. I am afraid of what might happen if we go this route.

I am opposed to this idea, and since I have been Rving for over 10 years, I feel strongly that we can be safe as long as we are smart and careful.

I have a conceal carry permit and believe that is what it means. If you are going to carry you should carry concealed if only to cause those around you to be less anxious about an armed person being in their midst. I use a variety of holsters, and clothing to accomplish this including ankle holsters, vests and jackets. One should be well educated in the use and operation of the weapon and shoot often to stay proficient. I also believe that it would be an excellent idea if you too were to be trained in the handling and use of the weapon to relieve your anxiety about having a gun around. I think that one should apply for and receive a CCW permit. Many states have reciprocal agreements and will honor your permit. Being smart and cautious will go a long way towards keeping you safe. Being educated, armed and proficient will go even farther. Oh and one other thing. Knowing that you are armed and realizing the responsibility involved makes one a better, more courteous and more patient citizen.

CADLAC

Arming one's self?

Hello All--

I have a conceal carry permit and believe that is what it means. If you are going to carry you should carry concealed if only to cause those around you to be less anxious about an armed person being in their midst. I use a variety of holsters, and clothing to accomplish this including ankle holsters, vests and jackets. One should be well educated in the use and operation of the weapon and shoot often to stay proficient. I also believe that it would be an excellent idea if you too were to be trained in the handling and use of the weapon to relieve your anxiety about having a gun around. I think that one should apply for and receive a CCW permit. Many states have reciprocal agreements and will honor your permit. Being smart and cautious will go a long way towards keeping you safe. Being educated, armed and proficient will go even farther. Oh and one other thing. Knowing that you are armed and realizing the responsibility involved makes one a better, more courteous and more patient citizen.

csavage

RE: Arming one's self?

Ummm, I'd propose that 95% of the people here have never fired at another person and probably couldn't now matter how hard they wanted to protect somebody. So, that being the case, your gun potentially becomes something that the criminal, who may be well-versed in shooting people, can gain and use against you. The best solution is to get the heck outta the situation.
Pepper spray can get into your OWN eyes...
Knives, same story, second verse, except now you are much closer to the guy who's attacking you than if you were struggling with a gun....

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I've heard the same from gun safety instructors and cops....

TexasClodhopper

Re: Arming one's self?

You are simply restating everything anyone that takes gun safety classes and/or concealed carry training has heard. The 'criminal' already has 'something that ... can ... be ... use against you.'

Get away if you can, but if you can't get away from the situation (perhaps you are trapped in the bedroom of your RV) then you'll be prepared to defend yourself and your family.

Now, lets test out your '95% proposal'. I'll tell you where I'm parked, and I'll even leave the door unlocked....

I'm sure you agree that there are situations where the possibility of there being an armed 'defendant' will deter the bad guy. Now take a look at Washington DC where there is little possibility of the bad guys being detered from their activities.

Thanks for expressing your opinion, though, and welcome to the forum.

C Nash

Still think shucking a shell in the old 12 guage pump is a sound that no intruder wants to hear and he /she knowes what it is :eek: . Never shot no one but you better believe my finger wont freeze on the trigger if he is trying to harm my family in my home. May be judged by eleven but he will be carried by 6.

DL Rupper

RE: Arming one's self?

Better safe than sorry :approve: . About the time I break down on some lonesome highway in Nevada or elsewhere I will be locked and loaded. :evil:

ARCHER

No-one I know wants to shoot someone. No-one I know wants their family attacked. No-one I know wants their belongings stolen. No-one I know want their property damaged.
If you know how to use a weapon, whether a hand gun (with permit), a shotgun, a rifle, etc., and it makes you feel more at ease, than carry one. Think long and hard about the outcome, if you must use a weapon. If you don't know how to use a weapon, then don't carry one and just make sure your not in the wrong place at the wrong time (if possible).
Don't forget, repeat, don't forget the trigger locks. Children's lives are at stack and you can't take back the bullet once you or they pull the trigger.
I guess just be smart and use some common sense. :) ;)