Attic Vent

foxden

I just purchased a Cameo fith wheel by Carriage. It does not have an attic vent. We plan on camping in some colder climates and I am worried about condensation building up in the attic. Has anyone ever installed an attic vent and if so could they give me some advice.
Thanks in advance for your response.

C Nash

Attic Vent

foxden, I assume you are talking about the vents that have fans in the rv ceiling. I would contact Carriage for the correct place to install as I am sure they offer them on their rvs. I did install one in an airstream and you have to know where the rafters are located. Have to be careful about cutting any wires also. Yours might be prewired for the vent fan.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Attic Vent

No, the "attic" in a trailer is the space in the rafters and yes, most quality manufactures vent it with a roof mounted vent cover like on top of the pipes coming out of the tanks. All you will have to do is drill a hole through the roof and install the vent, but it is my understanding the venting helps most in hot weather. Just like the ridge vent or attic vent on your house.

abbtkj

Attic Vent

Me personally would not worry about the attic space with condensation it will stay dry for cold air will not rise but for the lower part of your camper and windows i would get a Dehumidifier and this should take care of it in te winter, you can buy them at lowes or walmart

Grandview Trailer Sa

Attic Vent

I have a friend who did not have his "attic" vented and effects of moisture showed on his ceiling at the rafters after a few years. A vent for 3-5 dollars is a cheap preventive.

Kirk

Attic Vent

Grandview,

Most of the motorhomes have that area completely full of foam insulation. Are you saying that the trailer builders leave a space there and vent it? I had always figured that they were full the same as a motorhome. Learn something new each day?

Grandview Trailer Sa

Attic Vent

Trailers have insulation packed in between the rafters. There is some open space between the ceiling and the roof and that is whats needs venting, just like the attic in your house.

Learned from you too, did not know that fact about motorhomes.

Kirk

Attic Vent

Grandview,

I'm not sure that all of them are that way, but all that I have seen inside of the roof were, and I would think that the extra vent would be the give-away. Does it look like and extra plumbing vent, or what? I plan to take a much closer look at both the trailers I see as well as the motorhomes. It might vary to some extent by the amount of slope built into the roof? One thing that I'd bet the open attic space would do is that when our foam filled roof has rain on it, it is quite noisy. If you had that open space I'd bet that would be much less.