Atwood furnace

Deric

I have an Atwood Furnace that won't light, or rather stay lit. I am experienced with gas appliances, as I have 50+ gas appliances where I work that I maintain. I also own a 1993 27.5 Wilderness Fifth Wheel trailer and have had great success troubleshooting gas appliances, Even changing out my cooling unit in the Dometic Fridge. However a friend of mine has a 1997 Wilderness with an Atwood furnace that lights, and shuts off in 1-2 seconds. I have checked everything out, including pulling the burner assembly out, and everything looks great. He said that the unit worked great until he bought the new style LP tanks. However the other appliances work great. So I am leaning toward a new control board from Dinosaur Electronics. I found one at Marks Rv Parts for around $90.00. However before I order a new one, is there something that I am missing? Grounds are tight, Gas orifice is clean, and the flame sensor is where it should be, and is clean. Any ideas? In case I can't get back to this forum could someone e-mail me either at work at dkettel@u.washington.edu or at home at dkettel@centurytel.net thanks in advance. It's an Atwood 8531-III DCLP.

Ed H.

Atwood furnace

Have you checked the gas pressure at the burner? A lot of folks will blame the control board for other problems. There should be pressure taps on both the inlet md outlet sides of the gas valve. Check both sides when trying the burner. You should get about 14" WC on the inlt side and about 11" WC on the burner side. If the pressure isn't up to par, the safety system will shut it down.
I would also take a second look at the ground wire. A tight connection does little good if the solderless connector on the end of the wire is loose or corroded.

Ed H.

Atwood furnace

Have you checked the gas pressure at the burner? A lot of folks will blame the control board for other problems. There should be pressure taps on both the inlet md outlet sides of the gas valve. Check both sides when trying the burner. You should get about 14" WC on the inlt side and about 11" WC on the burner side. If the pressure isn't up to par, the safety system will shut it down.
I would also take a second look at the ground wire. A tight connection does little good if the solderless connector on the end of the wire is loose or corroded.

Gary B

Atwood furnace

Hi Deric, as Ed posted check the LP pressure if it up to snuff, then its most likely the circuit board, and thats what is sounds like to me, my guess is the gas valve circuit in the board has go south, if it were the flame sense circuit the furnace should stay buring for about 6 seconds and then go out as that the default, but either way the borad is bad. Good luck and that a good price on a Dino board. :) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: ;) :approve: