Atwood Heater - pilot problem?

lynchjddtr

I recently purchased a 2002 jayco kiwi 23b camper. The problem/question that I have is when lighting the hot water heater, the pilot flame is about 1/2" in length. The chamber will light up to heat up the tank. When the tank hits the right temperature the chamber will turnoff, but the pilot stays on. The problem/question that I have is the pilot flame is now about 2"+ in length and it seems to be a lazy flame. I'm not sure if this is normal. I thought maybe it had to be adjusted, the dealer stated that the pilot can't be adjusted. Is this a normal - any ideas on how to correct if not. Thanks

Gary B

Hi Lynchjddtr, welcome to the forum, its sounds fairly normal, and no there really isn't any adjustment, as long as it stays lit and heats the water its fine. :) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: ;) :approve:

lynchjddtr

Thanks GaryB for the information - another question regarding the pilot if you don't mind. Above the pilot is a another tube, would this be the thermocouple (?). If so with the pilot flame being alittle high and touching the thermocouple. Do I need to worry about it being melted or damaged in any way since the pilot maybe on for a weekend or week long camping trip. thanks again for the help.

Gary B

HI lynchjddtr, no need to worry thats the way its suppose to be, and yes that would be the thermocouple and being in the flame is ok. :) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: ;) :approve:

lynchjddtr

Gary B - thanks for all your help, I browsed the net for anything to help, couldn't find anything. The Atwood web site seems not to be working.

Kirk

lynchjddtr,

It is very important for the flame to touch the thermal couple as the purpose of that thermal couple is to let the control circuit board know that the pilot is burning. Ig the thermal couple does not detect the heat from the pilot, it will close the gas valve and not allow the water heater to light and heat up. It is there as a safety device. When you have a pilot that lights, and then fails to stay lit, it is usually either a bad thermal couple, or the thermal couple is not positioned in the flame.