Auto Former

DARLING

Honey was looking online at a thing called Autoformer?

He thinks that we should get one for now & we will have it for when we full time.

We have never seen one in all our years of camping.

Something good or another expensive toy?

Thanks Darlin :cool:

H2H1

Re: Auto Former

I just went on line and found out what autoformer is. Now I don't feel so dumb. Thanks for stimulating my brain.

TexasClodhopper

I use mine regularly. If there are low voltage conditions, then it will switch inside to raise the voltage to your RV. It also has some transient spike protection inside.

I have seen problems with low voltage when I had to use a very long extension cord at one job site I was at.

I have never had a problem at an RV spot, but here in Texas when it gets hot and all those A/Cs are running, the voltage starts drooping. This condition can ruin your motor in your A/C compressor.

Just like everything else, they aren't all built alike.

DARLING

Thanks Paul
Honey was looking at a Hughes. It looks about the size of a 12 pack. Is this true?
Do you have to secure it so it does not walk off while you are way for you unit?

Darlin :cool:

H2H1

now you can see why we missed TC he has all the answers ,right or wrong :laugh: mostly the right one. I think I will get one now just because TC has one :laugh: And Darling that was the site I went to Hughes. price wasn't to bad. Thanks for the idea.

TexasClodhopper

Mine is a Hughes, but they've sold the company to someone else since I got it. That could be a good thang, too. They've changed the design some, but that could be a good thang, too.

Mine didn't come with legs ... :clown:

I intend to build mine into the compartment where the power cord stores, but for now I hang it off of a bracket that bolted under my MH to keep it out of the weather.

Hollis, I am a product of the good folks that frequent this forum! :laugh:

H2H1

yes you are ,although I haven't met you in person, I feel I have been knowing you for long time. I always enjoy your comments. :laugh:

DARLING

Now that I now that it is not just the new IT thing to have, I will give Honey the official go ahead because TC has one & gives them a thmbs up. Will just have to figure how to mount it in the electrial compatment for safety.

Sometimes Honey just drives me crazy on things he see on the internet that we NEED(HE WANTS) before we officially go full time. :laugh:

That is what makes married life interesting.

tallyo

I have read threads about autoformers in they they can cause problems for the campground power systems. Certain campgrounds are not allowing them if they know you have one. Apparently they can actually reverse the surges???? If I am being technically correct? Doesn't an autoformer not only protect against surges but also helps with low voltage? Here I am at the limits of my electrical knowledge.

Having said all this what I know about electricity I can put in the same thimble with brain surgery.

DL Rupper

The AUTOFORMER is great. Well worth the money by saving your A/C compressors. It is nothing more than a voltage transformer. They keep your voltage in the safe zone. Actually they reduce the RV parks power by upping the voltage. It saves the RV park money in kilowatt hrs. You will keep your compressor working a lot longer if you use one when the voltage drops below 105 volts. That means you need to monitor the line voltage at all times (plug in voltage monitor).

DARLING

DL
Can you hardwire it in between the power cord & where the cord plugs into the coach itself? Or do you have to plug it into the parks power source direct? That way it is weather protected & secure in the compartment(from walking legs).

DL Rupper

Hey Darlin, The Autoformer is too big and heavy to hard wire. Besides you only need it if the RV park voltage is low. I usually plug it in to the parks voltage connector then plug my RV electrical service into the Autoformer and then wrap a twisted heavy gage wire locking loop around the voltage post and padlock it to the Autoformer. They are a pain in the rear, but they are worth using and too expensive to not lock them down some way so they don't walk away.

DARLING

Thanks DL
I guess I know what Honey's next project will be.
If it protect from spikes & low drops & TC has one it cannot be bad. :laugh: :laugh: