Automotive GPS Unit

offwego_0208

I would appreciate hearing from those of you that have purchased an automotive GPS unit and discuss their pros and cons. (I've read that some charge for updates while others don't)

We're looking to purchase one for our upcoming trip to Hawaii and of course expect to use it here in the lower 48 and Canada. We think the 'voice' option is necessary, but what do all of you experienced travelers think?

Thank you,
Pat

LEN

Re: Automotive GPS Unit

The gps units are great. Don't know of any that the updates are free, except the update on a new but not updated unit. I am a Garmin fan so that is what I have. I like the wide option(bigger screen). Voice is great. I don't have lane assist which would be nice, not so much in the car but in the motor home. Garmin is coming out with a new unit that has the truck routing in it and for RV's this would be great. Mine was used from start to finish in our just completed Wa to Az mexican border trip with lots of side trips in the 4-runner for site seeing and finding those locations. One nice thing is seeing the next turn on your route and having a plan in mind and know how far to that turn.
Cons you still need a map to have an over all view of where you are headed for, at times the gps wanted us to go the long way around for what ever reason. It wanted us to make a U turn one place where a left turn was available. And it had a ditch bank road for us to travel at one point, this was in an out of the way place. You still must keep your head up as to where you wish to go and have some idea of how to get there as the input for the GPS is man made and men make errors, just as some maps are in error.
For the most part they are a great tool and I won't be without one.

LEN

JimE

RE: Automotive GPS Unit

I have been in the market for one myself for almost a year and recently took the plunge. I bought a Garmin 780 which speaks to you with street names instead of just saying turn right ahead etc. It also has bluetooth which syncs up with my cell phone for hands free cell service. It works great. I havent used the MP3 portion yet but it will also store music and play it through your radio. I am not trying to push any stores here but Costco has it for $249.00 which is why I jumped, that is $100 cheaper than anywhere else I have seen it. The sale ends in April sometime so if you want a top of the line unit thats the one. It has a lot of bells and whistles but its very easy to navigate.

H2H1

Hello Len and Pat, well I have a COBRA GPS and love it. I took us to our destination in Flagstaff AZ from GA with no problem. I went on line to Cobra webb site and downloaded the up grade at no cost. The warn nice female voice was sometime good to hear. My put a lot of information that sometime not needed but it is part of the program so I can live with it. I have also heard that they will sometime send you down a one way dead in road so like Len had stated, stay alert and you should not have any problems.

PS I have it program to GTS (Ken) Open House in Bed ford VA. this weekend. So hopefully you can make it to. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Triple E

I use the CoPilot 10. Installs on to your Lap Top. This way you have a larger screen. Since you are only buying software and a receiver the cost is a lot less. Voice command is standard. My receiver is Blue Tooth. I can set anywhere with the lap top and do my planning or what ever. Or the wife can sit where she wants to give me the directions.

As far a updates, I have never needed to do this. But I believe you can down load this from CoPilot for free.

utmtman

I have two, the tom tom 720 for my rv and car and the Magellan Meridian Gold for hiking, atving and so on.

offwego_0208

Thank you all, I went with a "for novices Garmin" the Garmin 260 --- I realize it's a discontinued model, but its still supported and we only wanted the basic features. Pat

*scooter*

Sounds like a good choice. A couple years ago, I purchased a Magellan, 'Marine & Land' type GPS. It's not real good for directions on land. Kinda tells you how to go as the crow flies. The good part was for fishing. I could place a particular spot into memory and return to catch fish. Additionaly, on the screen it left your exact footprint, so if I was in unfamiliar waters, it would assist me to get back home without being lost. Just over a year ago, I bought another Magellan, ('4040?). I use it nearly daily. Very mobile, easy to use, and I just learned I can get updated data....but for a fee. Oh well...gotta do it, to make it worth while...

jack g

I have the Garmin Nuvi 350. I used it as a truck driver for 3 years (retired oct 08) it has a setting for trucks or auto. I've talked to the pros at garmin and they told me you should update yearly. However normaly its not necessary because there aren't that many changes

rddog8691

I purchased a refurbished Garmin Streetpilot C550 on Ebay 3 years ago for next to nothing even came with factory warranty, I have not updated it since I got it and it takes me everywhere I need to go. I prefer Garmin over any other brand. Just my opinion. :)

C Nash

I have the Garmin and it works great but keep your maps. We will set ours when we are heading out to the desired destination but we go where the wind blows and she has said turn around so much that now she just ask which way we want to turn :eek: :laugh: ;)

DL Rupper

My Garmin 720 Streetpilot is great, but maps are a must. The lady in the sky gets screwy from time to time. If you have some idea where you are and where you are going the GPS is a great asset. Wouldn't travel without one anymore.

crusader

we have a Garmin c530. Have had for several years. Bought it when they were still exp. We use it at home a lot to get phone # to make hotel resv. It also is nice to be able to find a place to eat at before you get to the next town. Best toy I have ever had

H2H1

well I have 2 GPS'S one I can unplug to silence ,the other , well she want stop talking until we get where she wants to go. she old but I would not trade her for another. she is always right ( she made me say that). I really enjoy having my Cobra GPS. and my lady beside me when we travel.

LEN

Sorry but sure looks like a cheap shot at free add!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LEN

LarryAlida

I Love my Garmin. When driveing at night on a dark Hiway you can set it so you can see corners that are out in front of you in the dark . The Lane change will tell you to move right or left for your exit.If your alone in the car do'nt let it put you in the restricted commute lane.Just use your better judgment. Another thing I like,is when it talks to you. In town or on the road and not paying att. to your route, it will alert you ahead of time for your turns. If you miss a turn it will recalculate your directions. If you know your going to be ok going that way without following the new directions Garmin give you.[mine has a ladies voice].You can tell her to shut up. She will recalculate until you get where your going. Just do not confuse her with the navigator setting next to you. We used the Garmin when our rv broke down on the freeway.We found a lot of local help and phone numbers we needed to get going again. You might have trouble with any GPS putting you on what you know is just not the right Road,Farm Yard,whatever.You just have to turn around and go back to where it or your went wrong. GPS will sometimes send you on a short cut,or a sightseeing tour.If you feel it's wrong.Get out the map. One last thing. My buddy travels al over the Nation delivering Cars and small Trucks.He has used his Garmin 360C for a few years.It is no longer avail. He depends on it just about everyday. HOWEVER he talks to it.[the ladies voice] and he will talk to it at the same time, he's on the cell phone with me.Now I think the Garmin lady is jealous of me.Because she keeps talking and will not shut up even if he tells her to.And I'm not sure if he is talking to me or her. By the way my wife and I named our GPS Garminya.So they both know who I'm talking to. Larry.

ARCHER

We named ours, Maggie for Magellan. Love it. Wife uses it all the time in car. I'm getting ready to buy one for my ole truck.

C Nash

Word of advice. If you put in shortest route you had better have a 4x4 :eek: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Down here in the country where we are we have played with ours and she has taken us on routes that have been unused since Daniel Boone was through here :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: