Avion Questions

LTBrick

I am totally new to travel trailer scene. A need for us to buy one has recently arisen. There is an Avion for sale that I am looking at. It is about a 30 footer, 1976 or 1979. What is it worth? What should I look for with a unit this old? Did this type have much problems with leaking?

Frig doesn't work.

Old LP tanks.

Does Avion stil make RV's? I did an internet search but couldn't find anything current.

Gary B

Avion Questions

Hi LTBrick, welcome to the forum, per the NADA guide the average selling price of a 1978 30' Avion is about $3300.00, they were/are excellent rigs if taken care of, there should be no roof leaks, but that doesn't mean the floor cann't be rotted, check at the front and rear areas along the wall for floor rot, also check the window seals for leakage. Of course check all the appliances, to see that they work, test run the furnace, the air conditioner, water pump, hot water heater, and the refer, the refer will take 4 to 8 hrs to cool completely down. Refers are very costly from $1000 to $1400.00 so check it real good( oh I see you say the refer doesn't work) so take that into account when making and offer. Lp tanks can be upgraded for about $20.00 each. If the air conditioner is orgrinal figure it will draw about 20 to 25 amps on start up and then about 15 amps running, they operate off 110 VAC, Avion was bought out by Fleetwood a number of years ago and they still build the Avion line, but are now square & fiberglass. Good luck in your search. :) :bleh: :cool:
PS you might try going to Yahoo or Google and seach Fleetwood, or just Avion travel trailers, also checkout www.vintage-vacations.com
then go to the links page.

sp

Avion Questions

Hey There,

What are they asking for it? How do you know the fridge doesn't work? Like Gary said, check the floor and ceiling also. I bought a 76 Shasta with a huge rot spot under the queen bed. :dead: I didn't pay close enough attention because I got caught up with the excitement of getting a camper. I paid 2g's for a 21' and I think now that I paid too much money. Here are some pictures. http://www.msnusers.com/HeyPlanchone/1976shasta.msnw

My latest is a 24' Prowler 1978. http://www.msnusers.com/HeyPlanchone/1978prowlertheswampthing.msnw I paid $800.00 for this one. The roof leaked in the rear which is the bathroom and around the fridge vent so I had to coat the whole roof and will be replacing small sections of the ceiling. I just finished cleaning and rebuilding the furnace. My friend, in the maintenance shop at work, made up all the pieces I needed for the exhaust and intake air. Some parts were not available and some were just way to expensive for basically exhaust pipe. I had to cut all new gaskets from a sheet of Garlock, clean out a hornets nest, brush out a pound of lint from the fan, and put it all back together. That baby cranks out some heat now! :bleh:

Give us some more info and we'll see what we come up with.
sp

LTBrick

Avion Questions

I went to the NADA website: their books only go back to 1993. Where did you get the NADA price from?
The fellow selling it told me the frig doesn't work. BTW, how do these things work on propane (principal of operation - adiabatic cooling?).
I think the awning may be a bit aged, I haven't looked at it.
Why do the floors rot near front and back?
Are water pumps electric and/or manual?
I will see if I can get some pics.
I have looked at some others. One, a 1987 Hyliner, has what appears to be roofing tar/cement on the roof. Is this normal?

Thanks for all of your replies.

LTBrick

Avion Questions

Oh yeah, one more thing. The silver skin doesn't seem to have the same kind of smooth shimmery appearance of newer units I have seen. It appears to be weathered/sun-bleacehd, if that is possible for aluminum. Can this be treated in some way, or is that the type of finish they had back then?

sp

Avion Questions

LT,

Don't use those big words (adiabatic), they make my hair hurt. ;)

It works something like this, in basic terms, the propane or electric are the heat source that causes the 32% amonia / water solution to boil. When it condenses, it forms a hydrogyen gas(?)which is cold cold and it circulates through the system to cool. If the unit is not level it won't condense properly and it won't make the gas to cool. Ask if it works on 110v or 12v. You may need to tune up the propane side of things.

More latter...gotta get the kids to school.
sp

sp

Avion Questions

LT,

In my case the floor rotted in the shasta because of a leaky water tank or hole in the hose leading to or from it. It also had some bad spots on the ceiling. From looking at the studs after i removed the ceiling they leak where the side sheating meets the roof sheathing. The water then travels however the camper is pitched. Where the roof sheathing meets the back or front sheating is also a bad spot. Around skylights and fridge vent if they are not "flashed" properly. That is why I removed as much dried goop and filler on the prowler roof and "flashed" all the seams, skylights, and vents with 6" X whatever pieces of Quick Roof. It comes in 20' rolls. Then I used fibered white plastic coat on the rest. It is supposed to stay soft and move with the camper but I believe it will harded eventually.

Stay Tuned. I'll be back at lunch time. :bleh:

sp

Avion Questions

Are water pumps electric and/or manual?

The two shurflo's, in the shasta and prowler, are 12volt. They have a switch so when your water tank is empty you can turn it off and not burn up the pump. I call them "on demand" cause I don't know the correct term. Basically, you turn the faucet on, you draw the water that is in the line and then the pump goes on, you turn the faucet off, the line is filled and the pump turns off.

Did you get any pictures yet?
sp

sp

Avion Questions

I tried to cut and paste but it wouldn't let me. So, Just scroll up to one of my previous posts and click on one of my dummy msn sites where i store all of my pictures. Click join now and create a folder with your pix. It will upload them form your computer and you can dump them later.

Or, click on the msn tab start group and make your own place to store pix.

sp :approve:

LTBrick

Avion Questions

OK, SP. See address below for pics. might have gone a little crazy, but see what you think.
1976 Avion La Grande 31 ft. The frig doesn't work. The bathroom floor is mushy and will need replaces. There was some vandalism and there is a hole in the extreior skin (see pic), this hole happens to be behind the frig and that is what the guy said caused the frig to crap out (coils were cut).

Supposedly everything works (stove, AC, toilet, etc...)

Lowest he will go is $2,800. GaryB posted an NADA price of 3,300. However, when I go to NADA site, the book they advertise to sell onloy goes back to 1993?

What do you think?

Ther isn't much out there in my $3,000 price range (want > 28 ft.)

http://www.msnusers.com/AvionRVPics/shoebox.msnw?Page=1

Gary B

Avion Questions

Hi LTBrick, it really doesn't look bad, the hole will be fairly easy to repair,the bathroom floor can be done but will be more work. If the fridge is clean and not molded/cracked then replacing the cooling unit is an option, if you can do it your self you can do that for about a 1/3 of the cost of a new refer, if not with labour its about 1/2 or slightly more. If your not going to use it as a travel trailer(as in parking it on a lot) you can install a apartment size 110 VAC refer. I have a large NADA book it goes back as far as 1978, thats how I was able to look it up, keep in mind thae $3300.00 was with all things working and in good shape. If you are able to do the work yourself, then it isn't as bad but if you have to hire the work done you will never come out. Test test & check all the other things before you buy/pay!!! Its real simple to light the cook top & oven, run the furnace, turn the air cond. and light the water heater, run the water pump, put water in and check for water leaks, everywhere. Good luck. :) :bleh: :approve:

LTBrick

Avion Questions

Thanks Gary B! Excellent advice. Problem is that this one is at storage unit, how would I go about hooking up? Look for water leaks at fittings/fixtures?

For our use, the propane frig. would be better, but we probably won't use it at our site at all, it will just be one weekend overnight (Most everyone at our site don't use frig at all). I am really more concerned about re-sale value over the frig. I am sure if we were to go and sell it, we would get hammered on that. How much would a apartment size elec. frig. be?

What about that silver goop on roof? Is that type of stuff normal?

I feel our price should be $2,000, as high as $2,500. And that is only because I am feeling a need to buy something (anything), this seems like the best deal right now, I am sort of panicking. But I don't think I should go to $2,800. How do prices and supply of used units move as we go into summer?

Gary B

Avion Questions

Hi LT, I would check to see if there is an electrical outlet available in the storage area that you could plug an extenstion cord into for testing. I looked at the pics but cann't tell what the silver goop is most likely it roof sealeant, the TV ant. if it works is ok but there are no parts available for them anymore. I agree with you 100% on a price between $2000 / $2500 max, for the most part this is the high season and price generally drop as fall/winter comes(folks will sell for less rather then pay for storage thur the winter). Generally Avions are good well built trailers, most home supply stores (Lowes, Home Depot, Sears) will have the small fridges they cost around $125 to $200.00, and can be run off of an inverter, for travel but would use to much elect. for boondooking. Good luck. :)

sp

Avion Questions

LT,

Sorry I haven't got back to you sooner. I've been working on mine all weekend. :dead:

I was thinking about it and my thoughts are exactly the same as Gary's. If you buy it and have to put a ton of money into it then you should go for one that costs more $$. Tell whoever is selling it you need some time to go thru it. If the guy really wants to sell it he won't mind. The goop on the roof looks like the aluminium sealer. Check for soft spots on ceiling and ruffled lamenette(sp). Sometimes the outer piece ruffles cause it got wet/damp but the under side stays solid. They may have gooped the roof cause it was leaking or just a precaution. Also, see if there is a hole in the aluminum on the underside by bathroom.

Bring with you:

An extra set of hands and eyes(just so you don't miss anything)
A charged battery
A full propane tank
5 gallon jug of water and clean funnel
A generator
A lighter
A ladder

Drain anifreeze from the lines if applicable. Fill the water tank. Charge all the lines with water. You'll see how the pump works and you can see if the toilet or lines to sink and tub are leaking causeing the damage. Ensure that the furnace fires totally. I had pilot lit and blower working but it didn't ignite till I tore it apart and cleaned it. I'd price out the cooling system on the fridge and replace it for resale purposes or buy one on ebay. I just sold my 39" Domestic for $230 so they are out there.

Where is this camper located (state). Where and for how long do you plan on using the camper. I kinda got confused reading your last post concerning the fridge thing and how you were going to use it.

Go get'm :eek:
Steve

LTBrick

Avion Questions

Thanks SP!

I take it 5 gallons is enough to check water system?

Funny you mentioned the bathroom ceiling, although I didn't take a picture of it, the bathroom door appeared to have water damage (swelled disintegrating particle board), but the ceiling looked OK.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that awning hardware looks OK, but canvas is roached.

We live in Ohio and will use this at a site near Youngstown. There is no power at our site. The primary use will be weekends (usually just one overnight). Because there are no hookups at this site, most don't use frig or bathrooms (site has port-a-jon's and shower facilities). We would bring the travel trailer in at beginning of season and take out at end of season (May 1 to Oct. 31): will not be towed otherwise. This site is a waterski lake, so main emphasis is skiing, not campers (although everyone has one but us).

Assuming everything else works as stated (and to be confirmed if we buy it) it seems to be in decent shape and have what we need for our use. I sort of like the layout of it, too.

Thanks again for you info.

sp

Avion Questions

OK, Now I get it!!

I'd still fix or replace the fridge upfront to keep the beer and some food cold while your out playing.

You can take more H20 just to be safe. Open one faucet at a time. You don't want to leave too much water in the waste tanks just in case you don't buy it.

I'd replace the floor in the bath before you park it. Even though you won't be using it you can get rid of the mildew/mold smell from the rotten wood.

That's weird, how could the door rot if the ceiling above it is ok. :question: Unless, that is a new piece of ceiling above the door and they never replaced the door. I look at the pixs again.

Yeah, it looks nice inside. Let us know how the tests go. :cool: