Away to know for sure camper is hitch right?

OddFinger

I bought a colemen popup the first 2 times that i have pulled it.. . it came off the hitch ball. I need help is there away you can tell for sure that it want come off.

Will Daniels

Most hitches have a hole in the latch so you can lock them onto the ball with a padlock or put a metal pin in the hole. Do you have the correct ball size or perhaps the latch or the ball is worn.

brushpopper

When I hook up I always raise the tounge jack while the trailer is attached to the ball. If it raises the trailer and the tow vehicle then it is on there correctly. The pin in the hitch is a must also. I hope this helps.

Chris

OddFinger

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I do have the right size hitch ball and i do put a hitch pin in place. Both times it still came off. I have only had the camper for 6 months. I'm almost afraid to to try it any more. I have almost decided to sell it. I'm just afraid I willhurt myself or someelse. Thank's again

brushpopper

It is good to be cautious. That is why I raise the trailer and my truck to check the connection. If you do this you will know for sure it is connected properly. I had the same thing happen to me. Thankfully I was going over a speed bump in the campground and was moving very slow when it came off. From that day on I have checked it. Good luck!

Chris

OddFinger

Hi Brushpopper, That was just the way it happend with me the very first time i went camping. I had not got out of the camp ground. Thank god it was bikers weekend, three big guy's came from out of no where. they pick the camper off the ground and hitch it up for me. I don't know how i would have ever got it back up.

C Nash

Hi Oddfinger,
If the hitch is coming off the ball, you would have to have the wrong ball or a worn hitch. Is the pop up a new or older model? My thinking is you have a 2" hitch and a 1 7/8 ball. Don't get discouraged you should be able to fix this problem.

OddFinger

HiC Nash, The pop up is a 2001 colemen. The camper store where i bought it installed the hitch and ball. I think what it is i'am just not getting in down on the ball well enough. This past weekend we took it to the mountains had no problem. This time i heard it click when it went down on the ball. I lift up on the trailer adn truck and it seem find.

C Nash

That may have been your problem OddFinger. Being new it may have been a tight fit. Sure would think the camper store would use the correct ball but, you never know. The hitch should have the size stamped on it and the ball also. Be sure and hook up your safety chains with the left to right cross over method. Where did you go to the mountains? Love the mountains
:approve:

Butch

I'll certainly agree with most of these posts. I have seem many times where folks DO NOT attach the hitch correctly. The receptacle is merely setting on top of the ball. There should be about 1/4 to 1/2" clearance between your hitch and the ball mount when properly connected. The hitch has to go down over the ball. Quite frequently, the release trigger will be in the way and you will have to ascertain that it is free and clear to allow the hitch to smoothly drop down over the ball. Being it is a pop up, once connected and before doing anything else, grab the tounge and try to bounce the hitch off the ball. If it comes off, it was not hooked up... Check for the clearance between the tounge and the ball mount. just remember 1/4 to 1/2", anything more, it is not connected. Good luck.

OddFinger

HiC Nash. We went up to Cherokee. We camped at the KOA. We had camped their before but in a tent.We like it alot.

C Nash

That was our last camping trip OddFinger. Grand kids like the indoor swimming pool. Kind 0f pricey :eek: but, was pretty nice. Got to see a Elk, bear, wild hog, turkey and deer while we were there. Saw the Elk while leaving out of the KOA on Big Cove Road in one of the fields. Hope to make Alaska next spring, if Butch will allow me passage :laugh:

OddFinger

Hi C Nash I* think the indoor swiming pool is a big hit with the KOA. My son who is eleven enter the Hollween coustume and won 3rd prize. A real nice throphy. Yes we also saw a elk on that same road and wild turkey. I wish we could have seen a bear or wild hog. :cool: :cool:

Butch

Hey Chelse,

Out here in the so called bush, We are very particular who gets allowed passage. Some of these ol' coots even shoot first and just not bother with asking later... :cool:

C Nash

Butch, sounds like my kind of place. Might just stay if they will allow me to bring my old trusty Winchester. Think I would fit right in being I am a ol coot myself and could not even remember if I had shot first :laugh: